Working with Gemini Onions

For those that don’t know, Gemini is a new internet internet protocol and according to the inventor:

Gemini is a new internet protocol which:

• Is heavier than gopher
  • Is lighter than the web
  • Will not replace either
  • Strives for maximum power to weight ratio
  • Takes user privacy very seriously

It’s basically the web without images stripped down to the minimum. It uses a markdown-like language for capsules (aka pages). It has its own servers and clients and IMHO, makes the best platform for onion services. Why? There’s no java or javascript and there’s no way to log into anything due to a lack of a scripting language. It is purely a read-only experience.

I’m curious if anyone else here is running a Gemini onion and what you think of it as an onion service.

My capsule: gemini://woeu6k57svt4t5mipf6w4lcdk4w3awdhnv7kqe6ooamtbxvnoo7oe7yd.onion/
More info on gemini: Gemini protocol documentation

4 Likes

I could get your capsule via onion and clearnet:
gemini://gemini.theuse.net/

I’m curious if anyone else here is running a Gemini onion and what you think of it as an onion service.

I thought that there were no gemini onion though I wanted to see it. Nice work. :smiley:

It is purely a read-only experience.

I saw a chat gemini capsule in https://lemmy.ml/post/74836 (now offline). We can extend gemini to interactive experiences.

2 Likes

I know there is a lot of discussion on whether Gemini should be used for things like chat and rudimentary search functions, but I think that leads to could potentially other problems. As soon as you open up a capsule to interactivity, you then have to worry about security beyond what is in the base protocol framework. Badly written code can and will be exploited. If you’re running an onion service, then being anything other than read-only opens the door to being de-anonymized.

2 Likes