We've Teamed Up With Mullvad VPN to Launch the Mullvad Browser

by isabela | April 3, 2023

Today we announced the launch of the Mullvad Browser, a browser built by the Tor Project team and distributed by Mullvad.

Mullvad and the Tor Project have been part of the same community that is dedicated to developing technology that prioritizes protecting people's right to privacy for many years now. Mullvad contributes to the Tor Project at the highest level of membership, Shallot, and were a founding member of the Tor Project's Membership Program. They approached us to help them develop their browser because they wanted to leverage our expertise to create a product that is built on the same principles and with similar safety levels as the Tor Browser -- but that works independently of the Tor network. The result is the Mullvad Browser, a free, privacy-preserving web browser to challenge the all-too-prevalent business model of exploiting people's data for profit.

Why use the Mullvad Browser?

In short: the Mullvad Browser is Tor Browser without the Tor Network -- a browser that allows anyone to take advantage of all the browser privacy features the Tor Project has created. If people want to connect the browser with a VPN they trust, they can easily do so.

Our goal was to give users the privacy protections of Tor Browser without Tor. For instance, the Mullvad Browser applies a "hide-in-the-crowd" approach to online privacy by creating a similar fingerprint for all of its users. The browser's 'out-of-the-box' configurations and settings will mask many parameters and features commonly used to extract information from a person's device that can make them identifiable, including fonts, rendered content, and several hardware APIs. By default, Mullvad Browser has private mode enabled, blocks third-party trackers and cookies, and makes it easy to delete cookies between visiting pages during the same session.

The Mullvad Browser is another option for internet users who are looking for a privacy browser that doesn't need a bunch of extensions and plugins to enhance their privacy and reduce the factors that can accidentally de-anonymize themselves. And unlike other browsers on the market, Mullvad Browser's business model does not rely on capitalizing on users' behavioral data.

Why collaborate?

Our mission at the Tor Project is to advance human rights by building technology that protects people's privacy, provides anonymity and helps them bypass censorship. We want to give people options and demonstrate to the world that through partnerships like these, you can create technology with these values in mind.

That is why we jumped at the opportunity to help Mullvad with their browser. We agree with them that demand for a browser that is built to the same standards as Tor Browser exists.

We hope to inspire other tech builders and organizations to take a page out of our playbook --and think of privacy as a 'feature' that can enhance user experience-- and not as an afterthought. This collaboration with Mullvad illustrates that it is possible to build privacy-preserving technology that protects users like ours does together, rather than in competition with each other.

What does that mean for us and Tor Browser?

Let's be clear: Tor Browser is here to stay, and we'll continue to iterate and improve on it and our other services. We know that millions of users around the world rely on Tor Browser and other solutions that the Tor Project offers to safely connect to the internet, to browse anonymously online and to circumvent censorship. Therefore Tor Browser will continue to exist.

There are a lot of reasons to continue to maintain and improve Tor Browser, it is still one of the few solutions that provides anonymity online because it funnels traffic through the Tor network. A privacy browser plus the Tor network is a powerful combination and sometimes one of the few options that censored and surveilled users have in their region to freely and safely access the internet. Tor Browser is also a free solution for all, making it an affordable solution for people at risk.

This joint project with Mullvad has brought positive changes to Tor Browser by allowing us to address legacy issues, fix vulnerabilities for Tor Browser and make necessary UX improvements that benefit both Tor and Mullvad Browsers, as well as the global privacy-preserving tech ecosystem. And, over the last five years, the Tor Project has launched a number of initiatives to increase adoption of our technologies and made significant improvements to the usability of our own products. And we are currently working on more to come!

We encourage you to check out the Mullvad Browser and its capabilities. It can be used without Mullvad VPN, although the combination is recommended. If you want to learn more about this partnership, you can visit Mullvad.net/browser.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.torproject.org/releasing-mullvad-browser/
10 Likes

Hopefully a Mullvad browser channel will need to be added in the not too distant future!

Congratulations!

3 Likes

Nice, I can apply TB tests to Mullvad in the new TZP 2.0 (should be up in about a month)

• so that’s using special font lists
  • applying red/green notations to thing such as slider metrics, etc

mullvad

2 Likes

Will this ever be on Android?

Hello Mullvad Browser Team

I have two doubts:

1º If you use Mullvad Browser +VPN Mullvad in the openSuse Tumbleweed Distro will it cause any instability in the use of the TorBrowser browser or in the Distro in question, since TorBrowser recommends not using a VPN? If there is no problem I will definitely install, test and send my opinions and suggestions.

2nd On the Mullvad Browser download page, the received file is in the testing phase, correct?
On the Mullvad Browser FAQ page ( Mullvad Browser - Help | Mullvad VPN ) there are no instructions on how to install Mullvad Browser on Linux distributions. Can you send me the correct step by step to install Mullavad Browser in the openSuse Tumbleweed distro, please?

Edit: Just one more question!
Using Mullvad Browser +VPN Mullvad is it necessary to pay for the VPN? Just to confirm, okay?

Thank you in advance for your usual attention and I wish the whole team much success.

Correct, the browser is free to use, its just made in partnership with a company that offers VPN also.

This is old advice which should be taken with a grain of salt; there are bonuses and negatives to combining Tor with VPN, its just whether the bonuses play in your particular favour for your particular usage

Very much looking forward to sharing your results!

Did a short test yesterday on openSUSE Tumbleweed with Wayland. Mullvad Browser seems to launch in XWayland mode, not native Wayland. Have to launch it with MOZ_ENABLE_WAYLAND=1. Tor Browser stable launches with native Wayland.

If anyone else is seeing this I will make a bug report.

It all sounds super extra special fantastically wonderful.
Except if you use a modem to connect to the internet it has an embedded Media Access Control (MAC) alpha-numeric address by which your ISP recognizes you as a paid account. Spoof or change that MAC and your ISP will no longer recognize you and won’t grant you access to its network.

Hi,
You can download and verify the signature with gpg. see:

Then use tar -xvf to extract the mullvad browser tarball
Then there’s a ‘start-mullvad-browser-etc.’ file.
use either ./start-mullvad-browser-etc. or bash start-mullvad-browser-etc.
in the command line and the browser will start.

This works in fedora, don’t know about Suze . . .

edit the above by me - code9n - this is meant to be in reply to @Serial.com .

and,

use the ./start-mullvad-browser-etc. command, the bash start-mullvad-browser-etc. may not work as is.

Why does it require a later OS than TB?

Why does it require a later OS than TB?

“The supported versions on the website corresponds to the platforms we test”

VPN != Privacy

Here’s my basic question: if I save my Bookmarks/Favorites in Mullvad (or Tor) browser, will doing so alter my browser fingerprint?

Web content cannot read or FP bookmarks (or visited site links)

2 Likes

Please ask for help!

I’m having trouble installing gpg on top of the recommended homebrew, see the screenshot.

What should I do now?

I reinstalled it again: brew install gnupg@2.2

Please see the screenshot below for the result

so if I understand it right than Mullvad browser gives the same privacy protection as Tor Browser, but a lesser anonymity protection than Tor Browser via the Tor network offers?
can you please highlight a little on these difference in usage?

ref. What is the difference between Mullvad Browser and Tor Browser? | Tor Project | Support

The Mullvad Browser is free and open-source software that connects to the internet (if you use it together with Mullvad VPN) through the encrypted VPN tunnels and VPN servers of Mullvad. You can use it without or with any VPN, but you should make sure to use a VPN provider you can trust. Aside from the way that both browsers connect users to the internet (Tor network vs trusted VPN connection) the differences between both browsers are very small and come down to individual preference and use cases for the end-user.

As a benefit of connecting to the internet using the Tor network, various Tor specific features are closely integrated with our own browser that the Mullvad Browser does not offer, including:

• Circuit isolation and the integration with new-identity
  • Access to Onion Services (i.e. onionsites, Onion-Location redirects, onion authentication, and SecureDrop integration)
  • Built-in censorship circumvention with a unique UX found in Tor Browser’s connection settings and connection assis

Our objective with this collaboration is to provide more choice for online privacy (e.g., minimize fingerprinting and try to prevent linkability) to users at all levels.