Vanity .onion address

I am relatively new to .onion domain names, and have already tried to generate a few names using the /etc/tor/torrc file as such:

HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_service1/
HiddenServicePort 80 127.0.0.1:80

HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_service2/

and am considering finding a vanity address by adding lines in this file by adding i.e. 100 or so hidden services and simply deleting the hidden service folders I do not like, then restart.

HiddenServiceDir /var/lib/tor/hidden_serviceN/

i.e. cat /var/lib/tor/hidden_service*/hostname > /root/current.onions

Then if none are ok, simply delete all hidden services by simply
rm -Rf /var/lib/tor/hidden_service*

and service tor@default restart

Is this an acceptable method, or is there some way to announce that I will drop the hidden service addresses before doing so. Or is it any better way I can do this?

I am aware of several projects such as

However, am not searching for any particular first few characters - only an address that looks good, so I do not think those are correct for me for now.

You could just use one of the generators you listed and generate vanity addresses starting with e.g. ‘a’ and then choose among the many results.

2 Likes

Thanks Leibi,
In fact, I ended up going that path when realizing the domain name is an base32 encoding of the sites public key. It generated so many results that I flooded a directory with names… I then ended up trying with longer words even though it for me did not matter much whether domain had a good name somewhere in the middle of the name or not. It was quite fast finding even 6 letter combinations, so I am good!

1 Like

@kandresen , I’m in the same cae as you.
Did you found a good way to generate a vanity address ?

I don’t see the point of vanity addresses: just use subdomains to add human-readable information.

For instance, I operate a single-hop onion service for my clearnet domain. This is what one of my Onion-Location headers points to:

http://openpgpkey.saklad5.com.7fozcw7rp6flsw7al53wnbif5fz3bnqb6tot5hnljhidlrx22oktnjqd.onion

This makes it extremely obvious what the onion address is meant to correspond to, without any dumb tricks.