[tor-relays] recommended way to run 0.4.7 on armhf?

What's the recommended way to run 0.4.7 on armhf?

The package repository [deb.torproject.org] does not offer 32-bit ARM architecture (armhf) images (yet).

Debian has 0.4.7 in bullseye-backports.

But Raspbian doesn't have bullseye-backports: Index of /raspbian/dists

···

--
ilf

If you upload your address book to "the cloud", I don't want to be in it.

ilf:

The package repository [deb.torproject.org] does not offer 32-bit ARM architecture (armhf) images (yet).

Why and how I can enable Tor Package Repository in Debian? | Tor Project | Support

Right. One thing we recommended when talking to relay operators during earlier EOL upgrade periods is adding the debian -backports repository to the Raspberry Pi. It worked well according to the feedback we got. We linked to

for general steps (you need to adapt them for bullseye, though).

Hope this helps,
Georg

Thanks. I thought about doing that, but I would rather not like to mix Raspian bullseye and Debian bullseye-backports.

Is there a good reason against building armhf on deb.torproject.org?

Georg Koppen:

···

Right. One thing we recommended when talking to relay operators during earlier EOL upgrade periods is adding the debian -backports repository to the Raspberry Pi. It worked well according to the feedback we got. We linked to
Marks Rpi Cluster: Add buster-backports to a Raspberry Pi

--
ilf

ilf:

Thanks. I thought about doing that, but I would rather not like to mix Raspian bullseye and Debian bullseye-backports.

Is there a good reason against building armhf on deb.torproject.org?

Just resource constraints. We have a ticket for that work[1] but de-prioritized it even further given that we have a good workaround and a lot of affected users are happy with it.

Patches (still) welcome! :slight_smile:

Georg

[1] Package for architecture armhf (e.g. for raspberry pi) (#40347) · Issues · The Tor Project / Core / Tor · GitLab

···

Georg Koppen:

Have you thought about taking the packages from deb.debian.org bullseye-backports and distributing them via deb.torproject.org?

Georg Koppen:

···

Just resource constraints. We have a ticket for that work[1] but de-prioritized it even further given that we have a good workaround and a lot of affected users are happy with it.
[1] Package for architecture armhf (e.g. for raspberry pi) (#40347) · Issues · The Tor Project / Core / Tor · GitLab

--
ilf

What's the recommended way to run 0.4.8.9 on armhf Raspberry Pi?

Raspbian only has 0.4.7.13 in bookworm, there is no -security or -backports repository: Index of /raspbian

Tor Debian packages doesn't have 32-bit ARM architecture (armhf): Why and how I can enable Tor Package Repository in Debian? | Tor Project | Support

Until now, TPO recommended using Debian -backports. But that still has 0.4.7.13: Debian -- Details of package tor in bullseye-backports

Debian bookworm (stable) also only has 0.4.7.16: Debian -- Details of package tor in bookworm

I would love to run 0.4.8.9 (and keep it current) on Raspbian, without having to build from source. I welcome any tips.

Georg Koppen:

···

Why and how I can enable Tor Package Repository in Debian? | Tor Project | Support

--
ilf