[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, November 2022

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for November 2022.

At the beginning of the month, I attended the Reproducible Build 2022 Summit in Venice [0]. I discovered a lot of new stuff there, and hopefully, we might apply some to Tor Browser, too.

Then, for the rest of the month, I mostly worked on refinements to Tor Browser 12.0 series.
One of the most important features I have worked on is improving the experience with the multi-lingual builds. For example, I have implemented a notification to explain to the user why Tor Browser chose that language, with a button to go directly to the language preferences [1].
I have also fixed a few bugs introduced by the tor-launcher refactor [2][3].
I also managed to get yet another patch upstreamed to Firefox [4].

I had another important task, too: reviewing the profile files with our custom Firefox configuration [5]. I removed some old settings, added new ones, and tried to add missing links to our bug tracker for the ones that we already had. I hope this will help us with future documentation and review work.

Finally, I helped to prepare some releases and to verify the reproducibility of the ones we released.

We should be very close to 12.0 becoming stable: we are very excited about it, and we would love to get any feedback. So, please, consider downloading [6] the fifth alpha of 12.0 (we are publishing it later today) and giving it a test ride :smile:.

Thank you very much,
Pier

[0] Venice 2022 — reproducible-builds.org
[1] Inform users when Tor Browser sets their language automatically (#41378) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[2] The new tor-launcher handles arrays in the wrong way (#41436) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[3] TorConnect and TorSettings are initialized twice (#41429) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[4] ⚙ D161264 Bug 1769028: Disable DNS lookup in nsProfileLock when the proxy bypass protection is enabled r=mossop
[5] Review 000-tor-browser.js and 001-base-profile.js for 102 (#40783) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[6] Tor Project | Download Tor Browser Alpha

···