Tor Impossible to Connect On Qubes Whonix

Posted this in whonix forums and was told it was non whonix issue so praying can find help here at tor.

Been having issues connecting to tor. I am newish to qubes whonix and have seen other topics similar but they differed slightly and no troubleshooting has worked thus yet. First day of downloading qubes 4.1 was able to connect to tor for several hours, but since then have not been able connect. When using bridges, tor configuration gets stuck at 2% “Connected to pluggable transport” OR 10% “Connecting to relay”. When they get stuck here, there is no further movement. Seems like 1/10 times tor show connected without bridges, but whonix icon still shows the open lock and tor browser still does not connect.

sdwdate log viewer shows:

INFO: Running anondate-get…
______ ### START: ### /usr/sbin/anondate-get
____ INFO: anondate-get returned Tor consensus middle range time or minimum time.
____ INFO: The ‘anondate-get’ time_result is earlier than the current system time, ok. Not setting clock backwards.
____ ### END: ### Exiting with exit_code ‘3’ indicating ‘Setting time using anondate either not possible or not required.’.

anondate-get in sys-whonix:

START: ### /usr/sbin/anondate-get

______ WARNING: Tor bootstrap not done.
______ INFO: Attempting to determine Tor consensus time middle range…
______ INFO: Tor consensus time middle range could be determined, ok.
______ WARNING: local system time is NOT within Tor consensus time valid time range. (valid_after: ‘2022-11-16 02:00:00’ | middle_range: ‘2022-11-15 03:30:00’ | valid_until: ‘2022-11-15 05:00:00’)
______ INFO: time_result later than minimum-unixtime-show, ok.
______ INFO: minimum-time-check determined Tor consensus time middle range to be valid (B), ok.
______ INFO: Showing Tor consensus time middle range…
______ INFO: Tor consensus time middle_range: ‘2022-11-15 03:30:00’
2022-11-15 03:30:00
______ ### END: ### Exiting with exit_code ‘0’ indicating ‘Showed Tor consensus time middle range or minimum time.’.

is local system time the same as sys-whonix UTC time? Must I adjust time in sys-whonix to match local time?

Now when running systemcheck in sys whonix gui:

systemcheck gave up waiting.
Tor Circuit: not established
Connection 10 % done. Tor reports: WARN BOOTSTRAP PROGRESS=10 TAG=conn_done SUMMARY=“Connected to a relay” WARNING=“TLS_ERROR” REASON=TLS_ERROR COUNT=1 RECOMMENDATION=ignore HOSTID=“XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX” HOSTADDR=“XX.XX.XXX.XX:XXX”

Though not advised I have manually adjust time in forward and backwards 2 hours just to see if anything would change but no changes.

Thanks in advance to this helpful community if anyone is able to assist in troubleshooting. Learning qubes daily and the fact of this obstacle with tor puts a damper on it.

edit: am able to connect through debian 11/fedora 36 browser, just not through tor. since updates were configured over tor I cannot update to see if, because no tor connection.

the time of your machine is right ? is synced with something ?

yes date -u in both sys-whonix and dom0 are nearly the same

“Though not advised I have manually adjust time in forward and backwards 2 hours just to see if anything would change but no changes.” well you could take a look at this first .

@red0bear this didn’t change anything, and error codes were the same before and after. timezone selection in qubes installation setup does not matter for this incident does it?

Timezone is used by OS to sync things, changing things can break the system.

What version tor are you using ? Did you test with other versions ?