Tor Browser 12.0 does not respect `user.js`/default settings on first start

Operating System
Debian 11

Tor Browser version

Description
Before Tor Browser 12.0 it was possible to provide default settings to a “fresh” Tor Browser installation. This is mainly useful for defaulting to “Safest” security slider:

user_pref("browser.security_level.security_slider", 1);

(named extensions.torbutton.security_slider in previous versions, I guess)

Issue with 12.0: default settings are not respected on first browser startup (when profile.default is not initialized yet) - the browser instance needs to be closed and restarted. This is suboptimal for virtual/temporary environments, that bootstrap a fresh profile on startup.

From my own tests, Firefox ESR 102.5.0 correctly applies user.js or autoconfig properly on first start, hence likely no upstream problem.

I am wondering, is this a new bug or intended security feature?

Step by Step
- Download and extract tor-browser-linux64-12.0_ALL.tar.xz, so there is a fresh, uninitialized profile
- Before start, Either copy user.js manually to tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/user.js, with content:

user_pref("browser.security_level.security_slider", 1);

- Alternatively use Firefox AutoConfig (same result)
- Tor Browser won’t have safest security level after startup. It needs to be closed and restarted, now with proper setting applied.

1 Like

Hi @ChrisK, thanks for the detailed bug report! Would you mind pasting it into a new issue in our Gitlab project, so the devs can investigate please? Here’s the correct place to add it:

If you don’t have a Gitlab account, you can request one here:

https://gitlab.onionize.space/

Thanks again!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

Done in Tor Browser 12.0 does not respect `user.js`/default settings on first start (#41523) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

Thanks for the quick reply.

1 Like

Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.