"Take Screenshot" -> Right Click and select appears to do nothing?

Debian Sid | TB v.11.0.10 | Safest

When on a website with Tor Browser, right click and notice the option to, “Take Screenshot.”

I’ve tried it many times, not that I needed the “feature” of course, and I cannot find the
location of the screenshot. Is this because the screenshot feature is disabled?

If this “feature” is disabled in TB, can we please remove the option from the right
click menu?

1 Like

You are correct the right click option to Take Screenshot on my desktop (Tor Browser version 11.0.9. on Windows 7) and I have the same result. I am on a desktop and I always use the Ctrl and PrtSc keys on my keyboard. I had noticed the right click shortcut, but never tried to use it before. Try holding down the Ctrl key and tap the PrtSc key then paste the result into an image viewer and see if this works in the version you are using.

1 Like

@for_merlin:

Hello and thank you for posting to this thread.

“You are correct the right click option to Take Screenshot on my desktop (Tor Browser version 11.0.9. on Windows 7) and I have the same result.”

Thank you for confirming this possible “bug” or at least a needless entry in the right click menu. :smiley:

“I had noticed the right click shortcut, but never tried to use it before.”

I didn’t need the “feature” but I saw the option and was curious, tried it, nada. This is a good way to find bugs/issues!

“Try holding down the Ctrl key and tap the PrtSc key then paste the result into an image viewer and see if this works in the version you are using.”

I tried as you suggested but the combo did not produce any result.

Once again, thanks for confirming this issue.

My interest and the purpose of this thread is not that I was searching for a way to take a screenshot, but stumbling upon something which should not be there if the function does not work.

So I await someone smarter than me to open a bug report, as this really should be “nipped in the bud.”[1]

[1] Barney Nip It montage - YouTube

1 Like

Tor Browser doesn’t ship with the system “addon” (screenshots@mozilla.org.xpi) for fingerprinting reasons. That said it can easily hide the menu item via pref.

I have opened UX: set extensions.screenshots.disabled = false (#40912) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

1 Like

@thorin,

Thanks for the explanation and details as well as opening a ticket for this issue! I appreciate it!

I’ll leave this thread open for discussion until the issue is resolved.

"@thorin changed the description [3 days ago]

1 Like

This has been fixed in Tor Browser 11.5:

Bug 40912: Hide screenshots menu since we don’t support it [tor-browser]

Thanks, guys for fixing this. I hate to mark this post as a solution, because I didn’t solve it, but it’s the only way I have to lock the thread.

Again, thanks.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.