Router problems

Hello,
I am running a relay on an Pi 3, it works fine.
But after a few days crashes my Router. It loses the connection to the Internet an Reboot… i think its because the relay got so many connections (around 9k +). I tried to reduce the bandwich to 1,5 Mbit but the Problem is the same.
Is there anything i can do? Do i have to buy a new Router? Wich one is good? I got a Fritz Box 7430…
Thanks for your help

What was the amount of connections when you limited the bandwidth? If it was significantly less, it can be assumed that the amount of connections is not the problem.

I’ve personally never heard of a router crashing in cases of too much connections or traffic. I would see if a firmware update is available for your router, and see if that fixes it. If that doesn’t work or there isn’t one available, what you could do is reset the router to its default settings, it could be misconfigured. It’s also possible that the network settings of the device you’re running the relay on are misconfigured, but I don’t think there’s any network configuration on one device that should cause the router to reboot.

I updated the Router a few days ago. Maybe i have to reset the Router, but everything is working fine, when Tor is shut down. I can Download 80 gb at 110 Mbit without a Problem, so i thinks its cause of the connections.
I dont know how many where there when it crashes. The last time i checkt Tor it has been around 6000+ a day bevor.
What i also noted is, when Tor is online for around 10 hours, i can Open the Router panal “normal” but after a day or more, it takes minutes to load the routers Page
Maybe i upload here some Kind of config file from my relay that can help you?
Sorry for my Bad english :wink:

Tor Project | Relay requirements :

A non-exit relay should be able to handle at least 7000 concurrent connections. This can overwhelm consumer-level routers. If you run the Tor relay from a server (virtual or dedicated) in a data center you will be fine. If you run it behind a consumer-level router at home you will have to try and see if your home router can handle it or if it starts failing. Fast exit relays (>=100 Mbit/s) usually have to handle a lot more concurrent connections (>100k).

Maybe you will need a better router that can handle 7k connections.
Or instead of running a relay in your Raspberry Pi, just run a Snowflake standalone proxy.

tank you,
yes, thats what the how-to tells me. but i could not find any information about other guys with my problem, i cant belive that im the only person whos router collaps…
where could i find information about what kind of router could solve my problem.
i dont want to buy a router for aroung 300€ i just want to support the network :wink:

im new on linux, and im not able to install the snowflake… i stuck at the part with the source code, how to use the command? the link in source code brings me back the the page…

Have you checked the tor-relays mailing list archive?

A quick search and I found something for you:

Only TCP is required! Fritz!Box DSL router works well with Tor but if
Tor has many circuits open, you have to reboot the box every week or so.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2013-October/003066.html

Open a terminal and run:

git clone https://git.torproject.org/pluggable-transports/snowflake.git

And then you can continue following the instructions.

What is snowflake?

Snowflake is software that turns you into a special type of Tor bridge. This allows people in places where Tor is censored to access it regardless.

Becoming a Snowflake proxy is very easy, all you have to do is install the browser extension. There are other ways, like installing a standalone Snowflake proxy, but installing the browser extension is the easiest way to help out.

3 Likes