New Alpha Release: Tor Browser 11.5a7 (Android)

by aguestuser | March 9, 2022

Tor Browser 11.5a7 is now available from the Tor Browser download page and also from our distribution directory.

This version includes important security updates to Firefox.

We also use the opportunity to update various components of Tor Browser, bumping NoScript to 11.3.7, while switching to the latest version of Go (1.17.8) for building our Go-related projects.

As usual, please report any issues you find in this alpha version, so we can fix them for the next upcoming major stable release (11.5).

The full changelog since Tor Browser 11.5a5 is:

• Android
    • Update NoScript to 11.3.7
    • Bug tor-browser#40829: port fixes for Mozilla security advisory mfsa2022-09 to Android
  • Build System
    • Android

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-115a7/
3 Likes

Can thes one be used as stabel? For patches alpha is safer than stabel sinse no patching?

I seen on schedual it is to be 11.0.8 stabel today?

Hi @Longpage, the release schedule is approximate as the exact time it takes to prep, build and launch a new version can vary from release to release – however we’re aiming to release a new version of Tor Browser for Android with the fix for Bug tor-browser#40829 included in the next few days.

If you do decide to use Alpha in the meantime, I would recommend switching immediately back to stable when it’s available.

3 Likes

Thank you for exsplaining. Will useing alpha make my finger prints bigger or cant the end site tell the type? Its would be good for to have mobile U.A matching to desktop PC type so sites wont no if on mobile or PC. Thank you

(Now found this so more unsure whats one to use safetly Set network.proxy.failover_direct to false in Tor Browser 11 (Android) (#40832) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab )

@Longpage, if you meant whether your browser fingerprint on Tor Browser for Android Alpha will be different than Tor Browser for Android (Stable), the answer is no. But please note that Alpha releases are particularly aimed towards quality assurance and to check for potential bugs and testing.

2 Likes

Yes ok good thank you, if stable one with patched bugs cames out in days from Duncan I will wait on for safer strong stable and proxy.failover thing is changes ther to hopefully. Could I put apkeditor app to torandroid apk as to make UA say Windows 10 with this to stop end site telling I 'm in mobile not PC? Thank you

Tor Browser is specifically engineered to have a nearly identical fingerprint across its users. This means each Tor Browser user looks like every other Tor Browser user, making it difficult to track any individual user. Modifying the browser may affect it in unforeseen ways and potentially make your browser fingerprint unique, hence, I would not recommend doing so.

2 Likes

Thank you - yes but at mobile checker it said Android 10 so site end visited can no its mobile type tor. On PC its wont say Android 10 so it has different name type, not the same 1 for both like say above

@Longpage, on mobile, the idea is to keep the browser fingerprint identical among all Tor Browser for Android users.

2 Likes

Would it be better for both to look the same? Changes are toward tracking now so people can see who on PC or mobiles, why say the type?

Because it puts Android 10 sites no its an android mobile and can scann them for valnerabileties (spell wrong) but if all say same no one can tell

2 posts were split to a new topic: Trouble logging into Twitter’s onion service

@Longpage Browser fingerprinting depends on more things that just the user agent detection (and you might be interested in the Tor Browser Design Docs to read more about this). For now, my recommendation will be to not modify any settings. (See also this old ticket on this topic: Orfox's UserAgent different than other TBB (#18854) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab)

1 Like

Yes that true but tor is to see as all one user but at now when PC saying one name for tor and android say some thing els it is not longer the one group, tor on any os should say one agent so all one together - not for all PC in one and any phone in anothery, means not same

*edit: also when it say orbot differece to I thought orbot was to tor non tor apps? Or has orbot browser of itself to?

If it has been reportid since orfox why still no changes?

It’s talking about Orfox.

1 Like

If users report mix user agent back on orfox why has it not had matched to PC? Clearly it is problem. Can it please get changed to match PC by defalt as needed
@championquizzer @donuts