New Alpha Release: Tor Browser 11.5a3 (Android)

by sysrqb | January 27, 2022

Tor Browser 11.5a3 is now available from the Tor Browser download page and also from our distribution directory.

This version includes important security updates to Firefox.

Tor Browser 11.5a3 updates Firefox to 94.1.1 and includes bugfixes and stability improvements.

We use the opportunity as well to update various other components of Tor Browser: Tor to 0.4.7.3-alpha, OpenSSL to 1.1.1m, and NoScript to 11.2.14. We switch to the latest Go version (1.17.5), too, for building our Go-related projects.

As usual, please report any issues you find in this alpha version, so we can fix them for the next upcoming major stable release (11.5).

The full changelog since Tor Browser 11.0a8 is:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-115a3/
4 Likes

I am certainly very glad to see progress being made after such a long spell of inactivity. The alpha seems to run smoothly and so far I haven’t found any way to make it crash or glitch. If everything continues well then hopefully it will soon be verified as good enough for stable. The only thing I guess you don’t get on the mobile app is the screen letterboxing but to my understanding screen measuring will not be possible if Javascript is fully disabled? Thank you.

Driftfall via Tor Project Forum:

I am certainly very glad to see progress being made after such a long spell of inactivity. The alpha seems to run smoothly and so far I haven’t found any way to make it crash or glitch. If everything continues well then hopefully it will soon be verified as good enough for stable. The only thing I guess you don’t get on the mobile app is the screen letterboxing but to my understanding screen measuring will not be possible if Javascript is fully disabled? Thank you.

That’s doable with CSS alone, via media queries, alas.

So even desktop could give correct info despite letterboxing? If its only an issue on mobile then it definitely needs to be fixed, people won’t mind scrolling and zooming in and out if it provides better privacy.