Installation Errors (Windows version) when not installing to preset folder

Hello,

This is just an FYI.

I just downloaded the newest version of Tor. I didn’t want to install it into the preset folder and decided to put it into C:\Windows\Program Files (x86) and during installation got one error after another, so I tried putting it in C:\Windows\Program Files and got one error after another…
only when I left it to install in the default directory did it finally work without error.

The errors go on with Accessible.tlb, AccessibleHandler.dll, AccessibleMarshall.dll, IA2Marshall.dll, application. ini, d3dcompiler_47.dll, dependentlibs.list, firefox.Visual.Elements.Manifest.xml, firefox.exe, freebl3.dll, lgpllibs.dll, libEgl.dll, libGLESv2.dll, mozavcodec.dll, mozavutil.dll, nss3.dll
and at this point I aborted… because it was useless…

I run in Windows 10 latest version with Avira active and have 375GB free on my HD.

I don’t trust downloading anything from the internet and then shutting down Antivirus to install it, so please don’t tell me that was the solution. If it is, it would be great if someone found a work-around.

I didn’t want to install it into the preset folder and decided to put it into C:\Windows\Program Files (x86) and during installation got one error after another, so I tried putting it in C:\Windows\Program Files and got one error after another…

Yes, because Tor Browser needs to be able to write to the folder it is installed to, and only administrator can write to those places. (the installer also doesn’t ask for admin)

Does it work now that you aren’t trying to write to somewhere you aren’t allowed to write to, or is something still not working?

Just wanted to make you aware that if it allows me to change the installation folder, it should be able to install to that folder… if not, that option shouldn’t even be given, or should be greyed out.

Yes, it does work, when using the default value. But like I wrote, I wanted to add it to a different folder and got all sorts of “Error opening file for writing” errors.