How to explicitly calculate from AccountingMax til RelayBandwidthRate?

I read How can I limit the total amount of bandwidth used by my Tor relay? documentation.

• If you want to offer X GB in each direction, you could set your RelayBandwidthRate to 20*X KBytes.

However, I do not understand what does the magic number twenty (20) means? Does it mean 20 hours? Why 20 was given as an example?

• For example, if you have 50 GB to offer each way, you might set your RelayBandwidthRate to 1000 KBytes: this way your relay will always be useful for at least half of each day.

If I can offer 50 GB each way, how do we calculate from 50 GB each way to RelayBandwidthRate of 1000 KBytes?

AccountingStart day 0:00
    AccountingMax 50 GBytes
    RelayBandwidthRate 1000 KBytes
    RelayBandwidthBurst 5000 KBytes # allow higher bursts but maintain average

The support page had listed the above configuration without further explanation in detail.

How does RelayBandwidthRate and RelayBandwidthBurst work together?

Guess 20 was once the minimum - so the example takes something multiplied by 20.

Calculation

Like written in the text, it will help the network for around 1/2day each day.

This would be for constant traffic:

And burst means it will take sometimes more bandwidth when possible, but will then will go back to a slower speed to average at the given rate RelayBandwidthRate

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.