How to enable Firefox Account Sync?

Per Reddit - Dive into anything and

I also want to enable Firefox Sync on my Tor Browser installation.

The aforementioned Firefox Sync Enabled - Tor Stack Exchange states that indentity.fxaccounts.enabled in about:config should work, but the key doesn’t even exist for me:

and Firefox Sync Enabled - Tor Stack Exchange states that this functionality has never been available.

Is this possible, and if so, how can I achieve it?

1 Like

You have an ‘n’ stuck between the ‘i’ and ‘d’. It should be:
identity.fxaccounts.enabled

1 Like

@tpm, that certainly enables the functionality, but if I actually try to login,

appears.

I’ve reported it at

Brief disclaimer for any reader: I do not recommend using Firefox Sync with the Tor Browser. Support for this service was intentionally disabled and unless you are well aware of the privacy implications, you should definitely not re-enable it. It should also be mentioned that support for it may be completely removed in future versions of the Tor Browser and the following instructions may become obsolete.

You can sign in to the service if you disable anti-fingerprinting measures by setting privacy.resistFingerprinting to false in about:config (it can be re-enabled after).
The settings will be kept only during the current (private) session, so you may also want to disable/uncheck Always use private browsing mode in about:preferences#privacy.

1 Like

RFP issues with performance metrics such as .measure and .mark, were resolved in FF111

I do not recommend you ever toggle RFP or start in normal mode. Just wait for Tor Browser 13 and try again

2 Likes

Please don’t.
These changes aren’t supported in Tor Browser (for a reason) and you shouldn’t really change them.

Firefox accounts just aren’t supported in Tor Browser.

1 Like
  1. start-tor-browser about:config.
  2. Set identity.fxaccounts.enabled to true.
  3. If start-tor-browser -v states less than 111.0a1, set privacy.resistFingerprinting to false.

or

If (((firefox -v) | grep -o '[0-9.]\+[0-9]') -LT 113) {
-Replace 'user_pref("privacy.resistFingerprinting", true)',	'user_pref("privacy.resistFingerprinting", false)' | Set-Content -Encoding 'UTF8NoBOM' -Path "$(Get-Content -Path 'user.js' | Select-String -AllMatches -SimpleMatch) -Raw)" }
-Replace 'user_pref("identity.fxaccounts.enabled", false)',	'user_pref("identity.fxaccounts.enabled", true)' | Set-Content -Encoding 'UTF8NoBOM' -Path "$(Get-Content -Path 'user.js' | Select-String -AllMatches -SimpleMatch) -Raw)"

Thank you both, thorin and PieroV, for the input.

My two recommendations, the disabling (even temporarily) of RFP and that of turning off Always use private browsing mode, are dangerous and shouldn’t be followed unless well understood, hence my previous brief disclaimer.

My advice was not made out of malice or even thoughtlessness and please feel free to delete or modify the post as you wish if you think it does more harm than good.

That said, I believe in the fundamental right that every user should be able to run the software as they wish and not just as the developers intended, especially if their actions affect them and no one else and they take full responsibility for it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.