Do my snowflakes work?

Hello guys!
Firstly, It’s been a week since I run Chrome Snowflake, but it always looks the same ( Screenshot by Lightshot ) and doesn’t show me how many people connected to it in the last 24 hours. Never seen a connection/change of colour or text. Does it work/ how do I fix it?
Secondly, because I’ve never seen a difference I decided to run a Standalone proxy ( Compiling and running from source). I downloaded Go, but because I didn’t know how to use it, I followed the tutorial of installation using Git instead of Go. After 3 hours of letting the proxy opened, it looks like this: Screenshot by Lightshot . I suppose it works even though I installed it with Git, doesn’t it?
Thank you!

You need Git to clone (download) the source, and Go to compile (build) an executable file from the source.

Your second screenshots looks correct to me, your Snowflake proxy is running and it does its job.

1 Like

@tobrop I made both download and build with Git because I didn’t know how to use Go after I downloaded it, I didn’t find any launcher in its folder (I’m a noob, I know), but if you’re saying that it’s running correctly it’s perfect. Thanks for your answer.

Anybody else, do you have any ideas for the Browser Snowflake?

If you can, run the program permanently on a device such as a Raspberry Pi.
After that, I would suggest running it as an automatically started command line version - you have it now.
The browser extension is easy to install, but it’s only available for the outerworld as long as you have the browser open.

Looks fine to me. :slight_smile: You even had some connections going through. If it is not working then error messages will be displayed; if I recall correctly I’ve had the browser extension complain at me now and then.

That you are not receiving many connections could be because there are enough snowflake proxies at the moment to meet the demand. Which would be a good thing. Anyway, as I am typing the snowflake bridge seems to be down (http://hctxrvjzfpvmzh2jllqhgvvkoepxb4kfzdjm6h7egcwlumggtktiftid.onion/rs.html#details/5481936581E23D2D178105D44DB6915AB06BFB7F).

(By the way, I couldn’t load the screenshots in Tor Browser for some reason…)

1 Like

If your system is up all the time I’d run the standalone.
To see more output run: proxy -verbose
It can take a while after starting the proxy for connections to build up.

1 Like

Okay guys, thank you for your answers! I can let my PC opened around 4 hours a day. With raspberry pi, it will work 24/24?

As my Pi is running 24/7, the installed Snowflake proxy does as well. And it’s cheaper than running the PC just for that.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks!

Also, remember to keep the standalone proxy updated. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How do I update the standalone proxy?

It should be enough to run go get and then go build from the folder snowflake/proxy

1 Like

Okay, ty for the advice!

Here is your answer: Please Update your Snowflake Proxy to help us rollout Distributed Snowflake Server Support

3 Likes

Thank you, mate!

I’m trying to use the Chrome extension and I’m having exactly your same problem. Nobody seems to have answered your question yet, so I also don’t know if my extension is working or not.

There was a problem with extension ~2month ago.
But it should be fixed with current version:

Is it possible that you have old version of extension?
As I know, extensions should be updated automatically, but I’m asking just in case.

1 Like

I installed it yesterday for the first time, so I assume I got the latest version. I’ve 0.6.1 by the way.

1 Like

I made multiple tests: Installed it on Firefox (and it works). Then used the URL form of snowflake on Brave Browser (Snowflake & relay.love - they both work). I reinstalled the extension but still nobody connects to it - maybe it’s a glitch and the Snowflake Extension doesn’t work on Brave. So, for whom the extension doesn’t work, you can let a tab with embed version opened, or run a standalone proxy.

I don’t think the Snowflake extension works on Brave. It is recommended to install in Firefox or Chrome only: https://snowflake.torproject.org/

3 Likes