🔍 Call for Testers: Help the Tor Project to test Conjure on Tor Browser Alpha!

We are thrilled to announce that Conjure, a new pluggable transport is now supported in the alpha version of Tor Browser for Desktop and Android. Conjure is an anti-censorship tool that uses refraction networking (aka decoy routing) that will help users to bypass censorship and connect to the Tor network. We need your help to test if Conjure works in regions that the Tor network is blocked.

Your feedback will help us identify issues with this new pluggable transport and ensure its reliability.

What is Conjure?

Conjure is an anti-censorship tool in the refraction networking (a.k.a. decoy routing) lineage of circumvention systems. The key innovation of Conjure is to turn the unused IP address space of deploying Internet Service Providers (ISPs) into a large pool of phantom proxies that users can connect to. Due to the size of unused IPv6 address space and the potential for collateral damage against real websites hosted by the deploying ISPs, Conjure provides an effective solution to the problem of censors enumerating deployed bridges or proxies.

Conjure is currently deployed on the University of Colorado network and a small to mid size ISP in Michigan. For a technical explanation on how Conjure works, please see the Anti-censorship documentation wiki.

How to test Conjure

Important note on risk assessment

Please only download Tor Browser Alpha if you are okay with some things not working properly, want to help us find and report bugs, and are not putting yourself at risk. Be aware that testing a new pluggable transport may call attention of censors.

To participate in this testing program, please follow these steps:

Desktop

1. Download and install the latest alpha version of Tor Browser for Desktop (make sure you have a backup of your existing browser setup).
    Tor Project | Download Tor Browser Alpha

2. Open Tor Browser and navigate to the Connection preferences window. Or Click on “Configure Connection…”.
    Menu > Settings > Connection (about:preferences#connection)

3. Click on “Add a Bridge Manually”. Copy and add the bridge line below in the field.

conjure 143.110.214.222:80 url=https://registration.refraction.network.global.prod.fastly.net/api front=cdn.sstatic.net
  1. Click “OK” to close the bridge dialog. Finally, scroll up and click on “Connect”.

2. If you see a purple screen “Test. Thoroughly.” or if your Tor Browser Alpha was updated, you will see "Tor Browser has been updated”. Then, it means Conjure is working and you can use it for your browsing activities.

3. Take note of any issues, errors, or unexpected behavior you encounter while trying to connect to Tor using Conjure.

Android

1. Download and install the latest alpha version of Tor Browser for Android.
    Tor Project website, Google Play, or the Guardian Project F-Droid. If you need help to install from F-Droid, check out the Tor Browser User Manual.

2. When you run Tor Browser for the first time, you will see the option to connect directly to the Tor network, or to configure Tor Browser for your connection with the settings icon.

3. Tap on the settings icon. Tor Browser will take you through a series of configuration options. The first screen will tell you about the status of the Tor Network and provide you the option to configure a Bridge (‘Config Bridge’). Tap on ‘Config Bridge’.

4. Choose the “Provide a Bridge I know” option and then enter this bridge address:

conjure 143.110.214.222:80 url=https://registration.refraction.network.global.prod.fastly.net/api front=cdn.sstatic.net
  1. Tap ‘OK’ and, if everything works well, it will connect.

Submit your feedback

Submit your feedback and findings here on this topic or use Conjure GitLab repository for technical reports. Include a clear description of the problem, your Tor logs, steps to reproduce it, and any relevant details.

By testing Conjure and reporting any issues, bugs, or suggestions, you will contribute significantly to refining its performance and optimizing its capabilities. Your participation will not only benefit the Tor community but also help advance the Internet freedom community.

4 Likes

While the US doesn’t censor the Internet (other than no formal Net Neutrality laws), and my ISP CenturyLink told me they don’t filter or throttle traffic, I was able to use Conjure without issue using CenturyLink Fiber in Seattle, WA on my openSUSE laptop.

I don’t have access to a connection that blocks Tor, I mean my employer’s office network blocks torproject.org but not the Tor network itself. The only connection that I used that blocks Tor (without pluggable transports) is Viasat’s on-plane network.

2 Likes

Working nicely. Can get smooth 1080p, between 2500 Kbps – 5500 Kbps connection speed on YouTube using Tor Browser Android 12.5a6 and Conjure, no problems so far. Carrier is China Mobile Guangdong.

2 Likes

I did a test vs snowflake to compare between them yesterday and snowflake was much faster (given I happened on a fast snowflake proxy), given how conjure works in theory this shouldn’t happen and conjure should outperform snowflake, @cecylia is the current conjure bridge overwhelmed?

1 Like

Since i’m 17 hops and 150ms away is the test relevant for me?

Yes, why not? :slight_smile:

1 Like

didn’t connect for me

Could you share your Tor logs and any relevant details (like your location)?

[NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.
[NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.
[NOTICE] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9150
 [NOTICE] Opened Socks listener connection (ready) on 127.0.0.1:9150
 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 1% (conn_pt): Connecting to pluggable transport
 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 2% (conn_done_pt): Connected to pluggable transport
 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 10% (conn_done): Connected to a relay
 [WARN] Pluggable Transport process terminated with status code 0
it stucks there
ISP:Irancell(most censorious isp in Iran)
2 Likes

isp : asiatech
not connect

3 Likes

I tried to connect few times in the past 24 hours, it’s always the same error: “station is under high load”
ISP:Asiatech Data Transmission Company

2023-06-07 07:01:10.397 [NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
2023-06-07 07:01:10.401 [NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
2023-06-07 07:01:10.417 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.
2023-06-07 07:01:38.050 [NOTICE] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9150
2023-06-07 07:01:38.052 [NOTICE] Opened Socks listener connection (ready) on 127.0.0.1:9150
2023-06-07 07:01:39.450 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 1% (conn_pt): Connecting to pluggable transport
2023-06-07 07:01:39.452 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 2% (conn_done_pt): Connected to pluggable transport
2023-06-07 07:01:39.771 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 10% (conn_done): Connected to a relay
2023-06-07 07:01:43.234 [NOTICE] Managed proxy "TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\conjure-client.exe": retrying conjure registration, station is under high load.
2023-06-07 07:01:53.293 [NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
2023-06-07 07:01:55.889 [NOTICE] Managed proxy "TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\conjure-client.exe": retrying conjure registration, station is under high load.
2023-06-07 07:02:09.320 [NOTICE] Managed proxy "TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\conjure-client.exe": retrying conjure registration, station is under high load.
2023-06-07 07:06:40.091 [WARN] Problem bootstrapping. Stuck at 10% (conn_done): Connected to a relay. (DONE; DONE; count 1; recommendation warn; host 0000000000000000000000000000000000000000 at 143.110.214.222:80)
2023-06-07 07:06:40.092 [WARN] 1 connections have failed:
2023-06-07 07:06:40.094 [WARN] 1 connections died in state handshaking (TLS) with SSL state SSLv3/TLS write client hello in HANDSHAKE
2023-06-07 07:06:40.266 [NOTICE] Closing no-longer-configured Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9150
2023-06-07 07:06:40.267 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.
2023-06-07 07:06:40.893 [WARN] Pluggable Transport process terminated with status code 0

A quick summary about Conjure reachability:

:white_check_mark: China (ISP: China Mobile Guangdong)
:x: Iran (ISP: Asiatech and Irancell)

1 Like

Or just abandoned bug:

I connected to very well with Conjure, I am in a country with severe internet blocking and connected easily, the speed was good i mean was better than Snowflakes (260-300kb/s) i could watch videos on YouTube, but when i connected for the second time the speed it slowed down to 50-60 kb/s.

1 Like

Russian translation:

Мы рады сообщить, что Conjure, новый подключаемый транспорт, теперь поддерживается в альфа-версии Tor Browser для ПК и Android. Conjure - это инструмент для борьбы с цензурой, использующий refraction networking (decoy routing), чтобы помочь пользователям обойти цензуру и подключиться к сети Tor. Нам нужна ваша помощь, чтобы проверить, работает ли Conjure в странах, где сеть Tor заблокирована.

Ваши отзывы помогут нам выявить проблемы с этим новым подключаемым транспортом и обеспечить его надежность.

Что такое Conjure?

Conjure - это инструмент борьбы с цензурой, основанный на refraction networking (decoy routing). Ключевым новшеством Conjure является превращение неиспользуемого пространства IP-адресов, имеющихся в распоряжении интернет-провайдеров (ISP), принимающих участие в поддержке conjure, в большой пул фантомных прокси-серверов, к которым могут подключаться пользователи. Таким образом цензоры не могут легко заблокировать conjure, не заблокировав при этом многие “легитимные” сайты. Conjure обеспечивает эффективное решение проблемы выявления цензорами развернутых мостов или прокси-серверов.

В настоящее время Conjure развернут в сети Университета Колорадо и у небольшого провайдера в Мичигане. Для технического объяснения работы Conjure, пожалуйста, обратитесь к нашей wiki-документации.

Как протестировать Conjure

Важное замечание по оценке рисков!

Пожалуйста, загружайте и устанавливайте Tor Browser Alpha, только если вы не против того, что некоторые вещи не работают должным образом, и вы хотите помочь нам найти эти ошибки. Другое важное замечание - оценивайте свои риски. Имейте в виду, что тестирование нового подключаемого транспорта может привлечь внимание цензоров.

Чтобы принять участие в тестировании, пожалуйста, выполните следующие действия:

Если вы используете браузер Tor для ПК:

Скачайте и установите последнюю альфа-версию браузера Tor для ПК (убедитесь, что у вас есть резервная копия существующих настроек браузера).
Проект Tor | Скачать Tor Browser Alpha

Откройте Tor Browser и перейдите в настройки подключения:
Меню > Настройки > Подключение (about:preferences#connection)

Или нажмите “Настройка подключения…” на стартовом экране.

Нажмите на “Добавить мост вручную”. Скопируйте и добавьте в поле строку моста, приведенную ниже:

Нажмите “OK”, чтобы закрыть диалоговое окно моста. Наконец, прокрутите вверх и нажмите “Соединиться”.

Если вы увидите фиолетовый экран “Протестируйте. Тщательно” или если ваш Tor Browser Alpha был обновлен, то вы увидите “Tor Browser обновлен”, то это означает, что Conjure работает, и вы можете использовать его для просмотра веб-страниц.

Обратите внимание на любые проблемы, ошибки или неожиданное поведение, с которыми вы столкнулись при попытке подключиться к Tor с помощью Conjure.

Android

Скачайте и установите последнюю альфа-версию Tor Browser для Android.
Сайт Tor Project, Google Play или Guardian Project F-Droid.

Если вам нужна помощь в установке из F-Droid, ознакомьтесь с руководством пользователя Tor Browser.

Когда вы запустите Tor Browser в первый раз, вы увидите опцию подключиться напрямую к сети Tor или настроить подключение с помощью значка настроек в верхнем правом углу.

Нажмите на значок настроек. Tor Browser проведет вас через ряд вариантов настройки. На первом экране вы узнаете о состоянии сети Tor и получите возможность настроить мост (‘Конфигурация моста’). Нажмите на ‘Конфигурация моста’, выберите “Использовать мост”.

Выберите опцию “Указать мост” и введите адрес моста:

Нажмите ‘OK’, вернитесь на основной экран и нажмите “Подключиться”. Если все работает нормально, соединение будет установлено.

Отправьте свой отзыв

Напишите свои отзывы и выводы здесь, в этой теме, или используйте репозиторий Conjure на GitLab. Включите четкое описание проблемы, ваши журналы/логи Tor, шаги по воспроизведению пробоемы и любые важные детали.

Тестируя Conjure и сообщая о любых проблемах, ошибках или ваших предложениях, вы вносите значительный вклад в улучшение производительности браузера и оптимизацию его возможностей. Ваше участие принесет пользу не только сообществу Tor, но и поможет продвижению свободы Интернета.

2 Likes

Hello, can you give me a new Conjure configuration so that I can test it? Unfortunately, it is banned in Iran. I want to know how fast this configuration is in Iran.

1 Like

Hi! Could you share your tor logs and ISP? Unfortunately we only have one conjure station at the moment.

isp : asiatech

2023-06-09 13:23:36.966 [NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
2023-06-09 13:23:36.967 [NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
2023-06-09 13:23:36.977 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.
2023-06-09 13:23:38.564 [NOTICE] New control connection opened from 127.0.0.1.
2023-06-09 13:23:45.369 [NOTICE] DisableNetwork is set. Tor will not make or accept non-control network connections. Shutting down all existing connections.
2023-06-09 13:23:48.319 [NOTICE] Opening Socks listener on 127.0.0.1:9150
2023-06-09 13:23:48.319 [NOTICE] Opened Socks listener connection (ready) on 127.0.0.1:9150
2023-06-09 13:23:49.014 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 1% (conn_pt): Connecting to pluggable transport
2023-06-09 13:23:49.017 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 2% (conn_done_pt): Connected to pluggable transport
2023-06-09 13:23:49.018 [NOTICE] Bootstrapped 10% (conn_done): Connected to a relay
2023-06-09 13:23:52.978 [NOTICE] Managed proxy "TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\conjure-client.exe": retrying conjure registration, station is under high load.
2023-06-09 13:24:04.970 [NOTICE] Managed proxy "TorBrowser\Tor\PluggableTransports\conjure-client.exe": retrying conjure registration, station is under high load. 

:grin:

1 Like

@neel @TrumpXi @RendezvousPoint @atb213 @Rastin @sparrow @JonnyEnglish Y’all earned yourselves some highly exclusive Alpha Tester forum badges. Exciting, I know :sweat_smile:

Thanks for testing Conjure!

6 Likes