Administrator vs root and Tor Browser

I have used TOR for more than 15 years on Windows since XP and several versions of Linux starting with Red Hat 6.1. I have always wondered why running Tor Browser on all versions of Windows since XP as Administrator works out of the box. Yet every version of Linux does not. Tor Browser will not run on Linux as root. WHY?? AFAICT Windows Administrator and Linux root are both at the top of their respective user trees.

Running a web browser, or indeed any non-admin tool, as root, is absolutely not recommended.

Why do you need to run the Tor browser as root?
(maybe you have another problem, and you think the solution requires running Tor browser as root).

3 Likes

I did NOT ask what was or was not recommended. But, since you brought it up as I am the ONLY user of my computer(s) cellphones etc. why does Tor force me to create a lower privileged account just to run Tor?? The more accounts on a system the more opportunities for penetration.

I asked why I have been allowed to run Tor as the system Administrator in ALL versions of Windows since XP and am NOT allowed to runTor as root in a Linux.
Merlin

···

From: lepton via Tor Project Forum notifications@torproject1.discoursemail.com
Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2022 3:19 AM
To: for_merlin@msn.com for_merlin@msn.com
Subject: [Tor Project Forum] [Support/Tor Browser Desktop] Administrator vs root and Tor Browser

lepton
April 14

Running a web browser, or indeed any non-admin tool, as root, is absolutely not recommended.

Why do you need to run the Tor browser as root?
(maybe you have another problem, and you think the solution requires running Tor browser as root).

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Tor & Linux as well stick to the principle of least privilege and you should try to do so too:

But good thing is, both are open source and if you have the inexplicable desire to run everything like you are on an isolated 80s personal computer, you can do so by “fixing” it…

2 Likes

You should not confuse Windows Administrator with Linux root. They are not the same, and if you don’t understand the differences then you won’t understand why it will not work.

It’s not about Tor or Tor Browser. Most modern linux distributions do everything they possibly can to prevent root from running X programs and even from running the X server as root. So your question/problem is not even about Tor Browser.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.