Why no campaign against US and EU anti-encryption bills?

However it does require an active phone number for SMS verification which I see as unnecessary considering other E2EE messaging apps do not need numbers

It’s always ironic that some government agencies hate encrypted solutions while choosing to use them for their own needs…

Ha! Isn’t it? I also think about all the things governments absolutely depend on strong encryption to carry out–too many examples to list–and actually take some (tiny) bit of hope in that as well. It’s a point on the side for protecting this technology instead of undermining it.

3 Likes

The Internet was free one day The youngest may doubt it, but it is true they have locked the Internet in many small boxes, many small concepts, many small legal prisons.
And so that it doesn’t show too much. they called it: the civilized internet.
:thinking: Facial recognition affects us all
The Internet is a concrete way for citizens to do without politicians; as information becomes more and more easily accessible and this disturbs installing the same infrastructure as in China, North Korea or other countries with faltering freedom of expression: this is usually frowned upon by public opinion. But some users l haven’t understood

Good day to you thank you for your comment :+1:

2 Likes

I remember those days, I was still on dialup even when Limewire was popular and iTunes was half partly decent. There will always be ways to get around so long as we have encryption. If things ever go downhill then get a premium VPN in a country outside of the US and use non-US servers only, for the issue of encrypted communication without identification we can use Wickr, the US military depend on a branch of it so its unlikely to go anywhere soon.

For information :face_with_monocle:
Does Wickr cooperate with the government or law enforcement? :thinking:
Github = see wikr-crypto-c in Popular Repositories

On the other hand, phone number + SMS verification makes registrations really quick. I think Signal is, and will always be, mostly targeted towards people who would otherwise use Facebook Messenger or Whatsapp. That target group consists of people used to quick registrations, and don’t want to be forced to create a password (only to forget it 3 days later). It’s a tradeoff for sure, and for some people requiring anonymity it’s unacceptable. Thankfully, as you say, there are alternatives.

1 Like

LOL, I did not know this. Looks like Signal usage is more ubiquitous than I thought.
Here’s an English article by the way: Signal messaging service | Joinup

1 Like

It’s very simple to understand actually: when it’s free you’re the product! If you are given the opportunity to use a service for free, it is because it must earn money in one way or another in order to work. :speak_no_evil: :speak_no_evil:
Thank you for the link
I had not seen this article :+1:

Obviously not always the case, unless you’re claiming that, for instance, Signal or the Tor Project are secretly earning money from non-donating users. And just because one pays for a service does not mean that that service abstains from harvesting and selling user data.

Sorry @purplish
I’m not here, it’s to bring judgment but open doors and a little light. Besides, I use no app of this type or social networks Except for presentations to trainees concerning risk prevention and the use of the Internet and B2i
I wish you a good day

Not sure what you mean, but no need to be sorry.

You will understand better with link

" Due to the nature of our technology, the contents of your communication will be undecipherable if obtained"

Seems good to me?

1 Like

Thank you for your opinion @HotStepper
I humbly transmit what I find in order to provide you with the latest information not having your expertise on the topics proposed “Tor” it’s always a pleasure to read you :+1:

There are some platforms which start actions and inform about that topic like chat-kontrolle.eu (german language). But I also think there is a lot of silence.
This might be caused by the fact that for example the German government is against this proposal and even some interest groups of the people which would have to check if the files/messages reported by the algorithm are really (for example) CSAM are against this because this is not effective or in other words: The police realizes that this would mean a build in (D)DOS-Mechanism and would flood their ‘inboxes’ with (wrong) flagged material. Which would lead to a situation where they would be less to nearly not at all able to do their job.

They can simply make it illegal for the general public to use strong encryption while permitting it for themselves, and they can also backdoor the people’s computers while keeping their own safe, much like they currently do with Intel Management Engine.

3 Likes

Sometimes, software and hardware developers deliberately leave a backdoor in their programs to gain legitimate access to remote administration and troubleshooting. While these intentional backdoors are meant for developers only, hackers can use them for their benefit too. :thinking:
Network management and control can no longer be considered without the introduction of artificial intelligence.
Algorithms pose four types of questions: the risk of hacking (drone, autonomous car) or the loss of control of AI systems.
There are many debates to ensure that these algorithms behave fairly and transparently towards global citizens. algorithms used in programming

Hello I’m coming back to you after reading this sentence “a situation where they would be less or almost not at all able to do their job” I think case this level they have cybersecurity experts IAs who certainly planned this type of attack Artificial intelligence (AI) is present on all levels :thinking:
As a general rule, all cases are listed :innocent:
the advantage is with the Tor project is that we also have right to be intellingent. Thank you for your comment generates another approach of reasoning in the face of the implementation of controls come :+1:

Couldn’t we just hide strong encryption within the domestic layer encryption? Similar to how people hide Tor traffic by using a VPN? If not then hopefully it will only affect America so any devices manufactured outside the USA should be okay, its also probable that China has some form of hardware backdoors so I doubt they will be willing to lose their access through enabling American access. Does anyone know any key dates about when things are coming up?

I’ve also just read the article linked by Hecoobuh and its apparently now possible to fully disable intel management engine which is something I’ve not heard before, hopefully there is step by step instructional demonstrations somewhere

It looks like the UK are running the first lap with this bullshit Draft Online Safety law requires encrypted chat CSAM scans • The Register hopefully it won’t be passed but if it is then its the start of something never ending

The more I search the worse it becomes, this definitely can’t be allowed to happen, can we not get legally raped for just five minutes?

The Intel Management Engine (MOI), also known as the Intel Manageability Engine, is a standalone subsystem integrated into virtually all Intel processor chipsets since 2008. :thinking: