Why isn't DuckDuckGo .onion default search engine?

Hello. I’d like to know why is DuckDuckGo clearnet address default search engine on Tor Browser, instead of the official .onion.
Correct me if wrong, but I think it’d be better for anonymity if DDG .onion was used. When using clearnet, exit node IP is visible and it’s not a case with Tor address.

I second that motion. However is DDG truly uncensored. I can’t tell the difference mostly between the Google Yellowpages and the DDG output.
Correct me if I am wrong

1 Like

There is discussion about this on this ticket: DuckDuckGo Onion should be the default instead of DuckDuckGo (#21483) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

Before that is going to happen we’d need some data on whether DDG can handle our load and how large the performance drop-down for searches would be.

As mentioned in the ticket, this is a very important point to keep in mind.

1 Like

Is there anything halting this process, apart from time management? What would need to happen to get the ‘OK’ from DuckDuckGo? Could we just email them? Best case scenario, their solution auto scales and the answer is a simple ‘yes, this would be okay’.