Wanted to run something like tor network in china

Hi!

Since I don’t know much about this project and really wanted to help out Chinese people, I’m here to ask for help.
The whole point isn’t about browsing the global internet, but about hiding identity inside China.
Here’s my thoughts:

1. one or multiple directory authorities out of china to provide in-china routes only
  2. thousands of tor relays.
  3. thousands of tor exits.
    Is there any suggestions?

Thanks.

1 Like

I’m not sure if I understand your point.

1. How is it gonna be better than the Tor network?
  2. How do you prevent it from getting blocked as well?

Hi @SmallOps

You stated “I don’t know much about this project really” & with all due respect I think herein lies the answer to your own question.

It’s well worth taking the time to read up & learn more about how the Tor network functions. This will provide you with the technical insight to consider how you might best be able to help Internet users in China, if that’s what you wish to do.

There’s already a lot of information available online, some more current than others. By increasing your knowledge of the mechanics of Tor, you can find a place for yourself within the Tor network ecosystem, where you can make a valid contribution & get that ‘feel good’ feeling of satisfaction :slight_smile:

These links provide some examples, an overview, about how Chinese Tor users can successfully access the network,

With this in mind, if Tor users in China can access Tor then they can also access Tor Onion Services.

Tor Onion services can enable Chinese Tor users to communicate with each other, within China, using the current Tor network infrastructure, no additional infrastructure is required to enable Chinese Tor users to achieve this objective.

A Tor user in China might choose to set up their own Onion Server either in China or abroad or they might chose to use something like OnionShare.

OnionShare has a useful range of functions including anonymous chat, file sharing & creating a static website.

With this in mind & if it were your inclination you might ask yourself, “How can I possibly contribute to helping Tor users in China?”

A broad answer might be to setup a Tor server & a more specific answer might be to run a Snowflake browser add-on to visit a webpage like https://snowflake.torproject.org/ & use the embedded snowflake proxy on that website or on another similar website that also provides an embedded snowflake proxy &/or you could set up a standalone Snowflake proxy.

Taking the time to read the documents, taking the time to methodically configure the server, finding a starting point from where you have the knowledge & experience of using an operating system you’ve become familiar with & on which you could set up a server.

Having a good working knowledge of an operating system on which to host your server will lessen the challenge of achieving the objective of configuring a Tor server or any server for that matter.

With a fundamental, fluent understanding of how your chosen operating system works this will help to enable you to avoid tripping up along the way.

It’s all a process that begins when someone is willing & motivated to take the time to learn & use that knowledge to make something work. Happy trails :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sorry about not pointing out.
It’s just about location hiding.
2. getting blocked - use bridges by default.

1 Like

It is not possible to run a Tor relay node in China.Since the IP addresses of relay nodes including authoritative directory servers are disclosed, the Great Firewall of China can easily prevent any authoritative directory server from connecting to nodes in China.
Whether a relay node can function normally in China is an irrelevant matter. Just make sure that users in China can use the Tor network and that the Tor network can establish connections with Chinese websites. Unfortunately, the Great Firewall of China blocks Tor access to websites within the country.
It is hoped that developers will not only study the blocking of Tor at the entrance (such as bridges), but also focus on the blocking of the exit. Guaranteed availability of Tor.

The guy doesn’t want to run TOR in China he wants to have his own TORlike project runed in China
with their own replays and exit nodes (his PC from Wuhan connect to relay in Hefei and a 2nd relay in Hangzhou then exit in Shanghai)

I’m not exactly sure how you would go about it, but knowing the extent that the Chinese government and authorities would go, it would be best to avoid exit nodes. Since the hypothetical network would be strictly in China, their ISPs would be able to easily investigate said exit nodes since many could be used for nefarious reasons or simply speaking out against the government onto their clear web. In this case, I would recommend peer-to-peer internet alternatives that have a similar structure in mind, such as I2P (Invisible Internet Project).

This form of darknet allows every user to be a client and node, sharing network bandwidth, and even keeps traffic within their own network. Another notable feature is that exit nodes weren’t initially incorporated into the network’s structure, however it is possible to manually configure a trusted party to be used as an outproxy (exit node) for you.

For more information, here is a better overview of the project and how it works: Intro - I2P

Hope this helped in how you like to build similar TOR-like networks in China!

1 Like

You can start helping me for example

Okay. Hopefully someday there won’t be any censorship anymore.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.