Using the Tor Network as a VPN for Windows

Does anyone know whether it is possible to configure the Tor network to work as a VPN for the entire system rather than just for the browser (similarly to how ProtonVPN works as a VPN for the entire system rather than just for browsers)?

Hi @Vlad

From my own personal experience I can recommend using Tor with the GLMT1300 Beryl travel router from GL - iNet.

The configuration is very easy, using the router’s GUI Tor configuration page.

It requires just two settings:

1. Choose a random or specific exit relay.

2. Enable Tor.

Et voilà!

4 Likes

A VPN can do everything Tor does except browse onion sites !
Tor is not a VPN, it is an encrypted tunnel, in which data is sent through random channels, so no one can track where the data that flows. The problem is this: by accessing the Tor portal, you can be traced, as you can be on the exit side, if someone knows what to monitor.
Have a nice day

GLiNet Router Explanations

Et voilà!

1 Like

Thank you for the information. I do not know much about VPN networks and related things. I simply need to use a VPN for Windows 11. The system has the following option to set up a VPN connection:

Does anyone know how to use the Tor network as the system’s VPN?

Tor browser works fine even with a vpn active. I use ProtonVPN, and it offers a way (specific servers configured) to run all traffic over TOR.

If I did not state my question correctly, I will try to be clearer: Does anyone know how to use the Tor network as the system’s VPN? (I mean connecting the system to the Tor network in order to use this network as the system’s VPN, and not just a browser VPN.)

Hi @Vlad :slight_smile:

You could try OnionFruit

It’s important to take into consideration that you can’t route all internet traffic because Tor only supports TCP not UDP or ICMP.

There’s an OnionFruit quick start guide here:

Disclaimer: I’ve no experience of using Windows 11 or OnionFruit but I hear OnionFruit has worked for some. All the best with it.

2 Likes

Asked and answered. Open your wallet and pay for ProtonVPN Plus. When you do, you can connect to a VPN server configured to run everything through Tor. Otherwise, the Tor Browser is just that: a browser.

Having tested ProtonVPN
"outside gafam "
preferable to take a Pro subscription
Switzerland

1 Like

What you are showing is the Windows network VPN options. This option is only used if you want to configure a VPN, it can’t be used with Tor, it is designed to work similarly to software like ProtonVPN but instead of the connection being handled by a piece of downloaded software it would be handled by the Windows network options.

Thank you for the information. I can see that the OnionFruit software is what I need, because it connects the entire system to the Tor network, so that all programs on Windows, and not just the Tor browser, can access the Internet through the Tor VPN.

1 Like

Hello @Vlad, at the moment, the Tor Project doesn’t have an official solution for routing all your traffic as a “VPN” on Windows, but it’s something that we’re developing. If you’re using iOS, you can try Orbot, developed by The Guardian Project. Regarding Proton, I’m not sure how exactly they are routing over Tor. Maybe they are using the same Tor circuit for all your apps? Anyway, you will find out some non-official solutions everywhere, but keep in mind that it’s not something endorsed or developed by The Tor Project, i.e., use at your own risk.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. I likewise do not know how ProtonVPN works. I have begun using the Windscribe and HideMe VPNs, because ProtonVPN for some reason does not work on my computer. And I cannot connect to the Tor network because access to it is blocked in Russia where I live. But when I launch Windscribe, it establishes a VPN connection.

You don’t need a VPN to bypass Tor censorship in Russia. See this guide: Tor blocked in Russia: how to circumvent censorship.

Thank you very much. I was not aware that the blocking can be bypassed by requesting a bridge automatically in the program’s settings. The Tor browser now works on my computer. I will try to use OnionFruit in order to use the Tor network for the entire system rather than just for the browser.

1 Like

TECH NEWS La cour d’appel russe annule la décision de bloquer le site Web du projet Tor BlockBlog by admin Posted on May 22, 2022

Une cour d’appel en Russie a annulé une décision d’un tribunal régional qui avait autorisé le blocage du site Web du projet Tor dans le pays. En raison de violations lors de la procédure initiale, l’affaire a été renvoyée devant le tribunal de première instance pour un nouvel examen.

Roskomsvoboda aide à annuler le blocage du site Web du projet Tor en Russie
Des violations de procédure, principalement l’absence de convocation du propriétaire, ont conduit à l’annulation de la décision du tribunal régional de bloquer torproject.org, a annoncé Roskomsvoboda cette semaine. Les avocats de l’organisation non gouvernementale œuvrant pour la protection des droits des internautes en Russie ont joué un rôle dans l’affaire qui a été renvoyée devant le tribunal de première instance de la région de Saratov.

Le site Web du projet Tor a été bloqué en décembre de l’année dernière sur la base d’une décision du tribunal de district de Saratov du 18 décembre 2017. L’audience devant la cour d’appel, tenue en ligne, a été suivie par Ekaterina Abashina de l’équipe juridique de Roskomsvoboda. Depuis que la décision du tribunal de district a été annulée, torproject.org devrait être débloqué, a-t-elle déclaré.

Abashina a expliqué que la défense avait deux arguments principaux pour contester la décision initiale. Tout d’abord, l’absence d’un représentant de la plateforme aux audiences a affecté les droits et obligations du propriétaire. Ensuite, la loi russe n’interdit pas actuellement la diffusion d’informations liées aux technologies VPN et aux anonymiseurs.

Le procureur n’a pas déposé de réponse écrite à la plainte des avocats mais n’a fait qu’une objection verbale. Roskomnadzor, le chien de garde des médias russes qui avait bloqué le site Web, a déposé une réponse écrite affirmant que le tribunal avait des pouvoirs illimités pour reconnaître toute information comme interdite, a détaillé Abashina. L’expert juridique a déclaré à Forklog que les autorités russes souhaitaient restreindre l’accès au site Web en raison des instructions publiées sur la manière de télécharger le navigateur Tor axé sur la confidentialité.

Ekaterina Abashina s’attend à ce que la nouvelle procédure commence d’ici un mois et espère que le tribunal de première instance examinera le deuxième point de Roskomsvoboda, à savoir que la diffusion d’informations sur des technologies telles que Tor n’est pas interdite dans la Fédération de Russie, et tentera également de convoquer le site Web concerné. propriétaire comme l’exige la loi.

Les sites diffusant des informations utiles et fournissant des services à la communauté crypto ont été ciblés par les autorités russes au cours des dernières années. En juin dernier, un tribunal de la région russe de Perm a décidé de bloquer un certain nombre de plates-formes décrivant comment échanger de la crypto-monnaie contre de l’argent fiduciaire. En décembre, Roskomnadzor a pris des mesures pour restreindre l’accès à six fournisseurs de VPN pour aider les Russes à accéder aux informations “interdites”. Certains opérateurs ont contesté avec succès ces mesures devant les tribunaux russes.

Thank you for the information. I have been able to bypass the blocking of the access by setting up bridges in the program’s settings.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.