[tor-relays] Tor 0.3.5.x is unsupported, please upgrade

Hello!

It's time again to get relays upgraded running an EOL Tor series (0.3.5.x). We'll start reaching out to operators with valid contact information this week and plan to start reject relays which are still on 0.3.5.x about 4 weeks from now on at the begin of March. You can follow along that process in our bug tracker[1] if you want.

For the general processes around dealing with EOL relays in the Tor network see my mail from last October[2].

Feedback and improvements are welcome, as always.

Georg

[1] Get 0.3.5.x relays upgraded or removed from the network (#171) · Issues · The Tor Project / Network Health / Team · GitLab
[2] [tor-relays] Relays running an unsupported (EOL) Tor version

3 Likes

Georg Koppen:

Hello!

It's time again to get relays upgraded running an EOL Tor series (0.3.5.x). We'll start reaching out to operators with valid contact information this week and plan to start reject relays which are still on 0.3.5.x about 4 weeks from now on at the begin of March. You can follow along that process in our bug tracker[1] if you want.

Alright, I just pushed a commit to get relays rejected by fingerprint which are still running an unsupported Tor version (be it a 0.3.5.x or an unsupported 0.4.x one). This will take effect once a majority of our directory authorities has picked it up (which can take a couple of hours).

I've sent our bridge authority operator all the fingerprints of bridges running an unsupported Tor version for rejection as well.

We'll run further rejection rounds in the coming weeks to deal with new relays/bridges popping up with unsupported Tor versions. You can follow along this process by tracking our respective ticket in Gitlab.[1]

Thanks, in particular to those operators who keep their relays/bridges up-to-date or updated them recently!

Georg

[1] Keep rejecting relays/bridges with EOL version showing up (#210) · Issues · The Tor Project / Network Health / Team · GitLab

1 Like