[tor-relays] Running dedicated Tor node hosting

Hello me and my friend have been working on a startup now for a while and I was wondering if we would be able to run like professionally hosted Tor nodes as like a service. It’s so people who want to run like say any type of Tor node including exits and bridges can pay me and my friend to have them hosted and not have to deal with the complicated stuff that comes with hosting that kind of stuff. I just wanted to see if that’s fine

Until 2 years ago, Mr. Rockenhaus offered a similar service.
Put on the relays for the users and then transfer the SSH access.
If you and your friend will continue to manage them, then you have to run all
relays under one family.

···

On Monday, December 20, 2021 2:44:02 AM CET bobby stickel wrote:

Hello me and my friend have been working on a startup now for a while and I
was wondering if we would be able to run like professionally hosted Tor
nodes as like a service. It's so people who want to run like say any type
of Tor node including exits and bridges can pay me and my friend to have
them hosted and not have to deal with the complicated stuff that comes with
hosting that kind of stuff. I just wanted to see if that's fine

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!

Hello,

in my opinion, I am not sure if this is a good business idea.

If I wanted to support the tor network “as a service”, I’d donate to some of the very large relay operators that accept donations and are non-profits. That way, probably 80+% of what I donate goes directly into running tor nodes. Nobody is wanting to make any kind of profit and (in some cases) it might even be tax-deductible for me. Not sure how a business can compete with any of that.

Also, understand how big your potential market is. There are around 6-8k tor relays/bridges out there. In an absolute best case scenario, you could max out at around 5 to 10% of that. I highly doubt this will be enough to sustain a larger business.

Furthermore, running a lot of Tor nodes, especially including exits, has an effect on your infrastructure. You will require tons of bandwidth and quite a bit of extra admin effort to deal with abuse complains not only from the wide internet, but also from your business partners. I had ISPs that had to part ways with me because some of their upstream providers put them under pressure. That all costs a considerable amount of money.

Having said all of that, I doubt anyone has any objections for you guys to start a business providing Tor nodes. Just make sure it is clear you are not associated with Tor or the Tor Project in any way. Just like a game server hoster for Minecraft is free to offer such services but has no association with the developers of Minecraft or it’s publisher Microsoft.

Best Regards,

Kristian

Dec 20, 2021, 01:44 by tor@online-hangout.com:

···

Hello me and my friend have been working on a startup now for a while and I was wondering if we would be able to run like professionally hosted Tor nodes as like a service. It’s so people who want to run like say any type of Tor node including exits and bridges can pay me and my friend to have them hosted and not have to deal with the complicated stuff that comes with hosting that kind of stuff. I just wanted to see if that’s fine

2 Likes

Well you see it’s not always good just to fund one person or I should say entity. I find that it’s always better to have other places where you could donate/buy and know that stuff is going to work out. My plan was to not really make any profit of exit nodes because I have other products I could make profit off of and plus the nodes wasn’t going to be on the same machine they were going to be on individual servers.

···

On Dec 20, 2021 12:07 AM, abuse— via tor-relays tor-relays@lists.torproject.org wrote:

Hello,

in my opinion, I am not sure if this is a good business idea.

If I wanted to support the tor network “as a service”, I’d donate to some of the very large relay operators that accept donations and are non-profits. That way, probably 80+% of what I donate goes directly into running tor nodes. Nobody is wanting to make any kind of profit and (in some cases) it might even be tax-deductible for me. Not sure how a business can compete with any of that.

Also, understand how big your potential market is. There are around 6-8k tor relays/bridges out there. In an absolute best case scenario, you could max out at around 5 to 10% of that. I highly doubt this will be enough to sustain a larger business.

Furthermore, running a lot of Tor nodes, especially including exits, has an effect on your infrastructure. You will require tons of bandwidth and quite a bit of extra admin effort to deal with abuse complains not only from the wide internet, but also from your business partners. I had ISPs that had to part ways with me because some of their upstream providers put them under pressure. That all costs a considerable amount of money.

Having said all of that, I doubt anyone has any objections for you guys to start a business providing Tor nodes. Just make sure it is clear you are not associated with Tor or the Tor Project in any way. Just like a game server hoster for Minecraft is free to offer such services but has no association with the developers of Minecraft or it’s publisher Microsoft.

Best Regards,

Kristian

Dec 20, 2021, 01:44 by tor@online-hangout.com: