[tor-relays] Metrics falsely showing my relay as offline

I have 1 relay (40D13096BBD11AF198CE61DEE4EAECCE5472F2E7) that according to the metrics is always bouncing between online and offline, sometimes multiple times per day. The logs show it running the whole time and when the metrics also show it running, the uptime continues to increase correctly. This hasn't always been the case, as the history shows this didn't happen prior to around June based on the guard flag usage. This relay is hosted at AWS if that makes any difference.

Should I care about this, because the relay is running correctly. It's just that it never gets the stable (long running) and guard flags any more because of this yo-yo effect, which I'm sure is affecting how the relay is allocated circuits.

I do have another relay (E823B5F000835A669E902EBAE5ECCB9A324F46C9) that sometimes exhibits the same issues, but to a much lesser extent. Like it will show offline (maybe) once a month for a very short period and any flags lost are quickly regained.

···

Eddie:

I have 1 relay (40D13096BBD11AF198CE61DEE4EAECCE5472F2E7) that according to the metrics is always bouncing between online and offline, sometimes multiple times per day. The logs show it running the whole time and when the metrics also show it running, the uptime continues to increase correctly. This hasn't always been the case, as the history shows this didn't happen prior to around June based on the guard flag usage. This relay is hosted at AWS if that makes any difference.

What are you looking at when you say "according to the metrics"? Are you constantly watching relay-search or is it something else we could look at to figure out what is going on.

Should I care about this, because the relay is running correctly. It's just that it never gets the stable (long running) and guard flags any more because of this yo-yo effect, which I'm sure is affecting how the relay is allocated circuits.

Right. I wonder whether some directory authorities have issues reaching your relay sometimes resulting in the loss of flags you are seeing, but I have not looked at the votes for your relay since June.

Georg

···

I do have another relay (E823B5F000835A669E902EBAE5ECCB9A324F46C9) that sometimes exhibits the same issues, but to a much lesser extent. Like it will show offline (maybe) once a month for a very short period and any flags lost are quickly regained.

Eddie:

What are you looking at when you say "according to the metrics"? Are you constantly watching relay-search or is it something else we could look at to figure out what is going on.

Yep, metrics.torproject.org searching on a partial nickname: OhNoAnother

Right. I wonder whether some directory authorities have issues reaching your relay sometimes resulting in the loss of flags you are seeing, but I have not looked at the votes for your relay since June.

That's why I added the additional information about the AWS hosting, which I didn't last time, in case that had a bearing.

···

On 8/19/2022 12:21 AM, Georg Koppen wrote:

Georg