[tor-relays] Bridge Distribution Mechanism none

I have been up and running with my Tor Bridge for a number of months now, yet Tor Metrics reports that the Bridge Distribution Mechanism for my server is stuck on ‘none’.

Consequently I see no incoming connections to my Bridge.

I have tried altering the following

BridgeRelay 1

PublishServerDescriptor bridge
BridgeDistribution moat

with no success.

The mechanism is always none…and I have left the changes for a week to see if Metrics updates to no avail.

I have a static IPv4 address and functional IPv6 and have confirmed my ports are publicly accessible for both protocols

Self-testing indicates your ORPort [XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::XXX]:993 is reachable from the outside. Excellent.
Self-testing indicates your ORPort XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:993 is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.

I am running raspberry pi os buster which had an obsolete Tor version.

I subsequently upgraded and stay up to date with the latest bullseye version via bullseye backports,

Currently Tor 0.4.6.10-1~bpo10+1

Any ideas of why my servers Bridge Distribution Mechanism is always reported and behaving as none ?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Ross

1 Like

Probably because obfs4 is not installed or not running properly.

Check your logs for obfs4 errors, and for Apparmor error messages as well.

···

I have been up and running with my Tor Bridge for a number of months now, yet Tor Metrics reports that the Bridge Distribution Mechanism for my server is stuck on ‘none’.

Consequently I see no incoming connections to my Bridge.

I have tried altering the following

BridgeRelay 1

PublishServerDescriptor bridge
BridgeDistribution moat

with no success.

The mechanism is always none…and I have left the changes for a week to see if Metrics updates to no avail.

I have a static IPv4 address and functional IPv6 and have confirmed my ports are publicly accessible for both protocols

Self-testing indicates your ORPort [XXXX:XXXX:XXXX::XXX]:993 is reachable from the outside. Excellent.
Self-testing indicates your ORPort XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX:993 is reachable from the outside. Excellent. Publishing server descriptor.

I am running raspberry pi os buster which had an obsolete Tor version.

I subsequently upgraded and stay up to date with the latest bullseye version via bullseye backports,

Currently Tor 0.4.6.10-1~bpo10+1

Any ideas of why my servers Bridge Distribution Mechanism is always reported and behaving as none ?

Thanks in advance :wink:

Ross

1 Like

Get the obfs4proxy package from backports. Outdated obfs bridges are rejected
AFAIK.

https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-relays/2022-March/020447.html

···

On Tuesday, April 19, 2022 2:28:01 PM CEST 55578 via tor-relays wrote:

Probably because obfs4 is not installed or not running properly.

--
╰_╯ Ciao Marco!

Debian GNU/Linux

It's free software and it gives you freedom!

1 Like