Tor Relay Family 100+ Servers Blocked For Refusing KYC Procedure

Why?

https://www.reddit.com/r/TOR/comments/v8nmdp/tor_relay_family_100_servers_blocked_for_refusing/

2 Likes

I understand the questionnaire, but the video call is going too far. And besides, this isn’t really doing much to deter bad actors. Do they really think that a video call is going to stop the police/government? No, they’ll just show on a plainclothes cop on the call.

Assuming the main post and comments in the thread are honest, this is some really douchey behavior on behalf of the Tor team. I understand they are somewhat paranoid about governments snooping on the network, but these scare tactics just discourage everyday people and foundations from running relays.

Additionally, why can’t I find any documentation on these strange tasks given to relay owners? I’m a medium sized family owner and I’m thinking about adding more servers, but these silly under the table games are making me hesitate.

2 Likes

chris via Tor Project Forum:

I understand the questionnaire, but the video call is going too far. And besides, this isn’t really doing much to deter bad actors. Do they really think that a video call is going to stop the police/government? No, they’ll just show on a plainclothes cop on the call.

Assuming the main post and comments in the thread are honest,

That’s not the case, alas.

Additionally, why can’t I find any documentation on these strange tasks given to relay owners? I’m a medium sized family owner and I’m thinking about adding more servers, but these silly under the table games are making me hesitate.

What do you mean by “strange tasks”? You mean the questions we ask?
Those are meant to understand the motivations of relay operators, how
much they pay for running those relays, how many people are managing the
relays, how they are handling abuse complaints, whether they are
connected to local digital right organizations etc. It’s meant to be a
way to build a better Tor relay operator community, which strengthens
our resilience. So, there is nothing nefarious at play here, quite to
the contrary.

Yet you do quite opposite dont you think :slight_smile: Wanted to bring more servers to Tor but after this i will not bring I JUST REMOVE THE SERVERS from Tor :wink:

cipher via Tor Project Forum:

Yet you do quite opposite dont you think :slight_smile: Wanted to bring more servers to Tor but after this i will not bring I JUST REMOVE THE SERVERS from Tor :wink:

What do you mean by “after this”? My “That’s not the case, alas.” is
important here, I think.

My blog
about bad relay work is important in this context as well. If you have
not read it yet, I recommend you do so. If there are things we still
should improve in our process of dealing with malicious operators let us
know we are all ears, in particular given that the odds are still
against us in this arms race.

And, no, I am not convinced that we aren’t building a better Tor relay
operator community with our various efforts in that area.

We run the relays for people in oppressed regimes. You’re hurting them, not the Tor Project.
That’s as smart as saying to a Debian maintainer, I don’t use Debian GNU/Linux anymore. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

“That’s not the case” is a lot more credible and satisfying if you say what IS the case.

1 Like