[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, May 2022

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for May 2022.

Part of my work this month was again on Android.
I finally resolved the crash we had for a while [0] in 11.0.13, or so I hope :grin:. So far, all users have told us that they do not encounter that problem anymore, so please let us know if it is not the case for you.
I also helped prepare and release the two releases and the two alphas we had this month (11.0.12, 11.0.13, 11.5a10, and 11.5a12).
Other improvements on my side are that now testbuilds are single architecture (so they are much faster to build) [1], and all the QA APKs we produce are now compatible with Android 10+ [2].

For desktop, I updated some of our patches to make them easier to upstream to Firefox, and I have already sent them to Mozilla [3].
Some were accepted, some are still being reviewed, and a pair was rejected.
I also set everything up to include an offline copy of the Tor Browser manual in the bundle and accessible within the browser [4].
Finally, I fixed some minor issues on the work done in the previous months on the about:torconnect page and on the connection settings.

Thanks,
Pier

[0] Tor Browser crashing on launch (#40212) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / fenix ยท GitLab
[1] Allow building single-arch Android builds (#40116) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab
[2] Install fails for nightly testbuild on emulator running Android API v30 (#40202) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / fenix ยท GitLab
[3] Make Tor Browser easier to fork and uplift (#40917) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[4] Incorporate Tor Browser Manual pages into Tor Browser (#11698) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab

ยทยทยท

2 Likes

Can you add the bugzilla links for the upstreaming? I wonder if I've
missed some of them...

ยทยทยท

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 05:24, Pier Angelo Vendrame <pierov@torproject.org> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I finally resolved the crash we had for a while [0] in 11.0.13, or so I
hope :grin:. So far, all users have told us that they do not encounter that
problem anymore, so please let us know if it is not the case for you.
I also helped prepare and release the two releases and the two alphas we
had this month (11.0.12, 11.0.13, 11.5a10, and 11.5a12).
Other improvements on my side are that now testbuilds are single
architecture (so they are much faster to build) [1], and all the QA APKs
we produce are now compatible with Android 10+ [2].

For desktop, I updated some of our patches to make them easier to
upstream to Firefox, and I have already sent them to Mozilla [3].
I also set everything up to include an offline copy of the Tor Browser
manual in the bundle and accessible within the browser [4].
Finally, I fixed some minor issues on the work done in the previous
months on the about:torconnect page and on the connection settings.

Thanks,
Pier

[0] Tor Browser crashing on launch (#40212) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / fenix ยท GitLab
[1]
Allow building single-arch Android builds (#40116) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab
[2] Install fails for nightly testbuild on emulator running Android API v30 (#40202) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / fenix ยท GitLab
[3]
Make Tor Browser easier to fork and uplift (#40917) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[4]
Incorporate Tor Browser Manual pages into Tor Browser (#11698) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab

1 Like

Can you add the bugzilla links for the upstreaming? I wonder if I've
missed some of them...

Hi, sure!

Invalid Bug ID This was rejected earlier, because users are not expected to modify the changes the patch deals with.

Invalid Bug ID So far, only the priority has been assigned to this bug. I am more than willing to do anything the triage owner will ask me.

Invalid Bug ID This was started almost two years ago, so before I started working at Tor. If I understood correctly, all the reviewer's comments were addressed, but one remains as to be solved. I added a comment that I would like to continue the process to get the patch merged, or to address any other remaining problems with it.

Invalid Bug ID I have attached our patch to the bug, and it was assigned to a Mozilla developer, but I am more than willing to help in any way.

1711084 - Scheme flooding technique for reliable cross-browser fingerprinting I have attached our patch to the bug. However, the proof of concept for that vulnerability uses different code for Firefox and for Tor Browser, so it may not work for Firefox.

Invalid Bug ID This has been approved by one reviewer, I am waiting for the second one.

Invalid Bug ID This is an old ticket and was already marked as a wontfix. The wontfix decision has been approved. It makes sense, because that code seems to be dead (I have tried to add a #error on the code, but it did not make the build fail).

Invalid Bug ID This does not allow us to drop a patch, but at least to drop the changes we did to the related file. Anyway, it was merged.

Invalid Bug ID This is not for an upstream, but to see if Firefox's problem still exists, and if we can improve directly upstream.

A few months ago I opened a GitLab issue to track all the uplift requests: Uplift candidates (#40789) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab. I am continuing to update it for new issues.

Cheers,

Pier

ยทยทยท

On 6/1/22 15:39, Tom Ritter wrote:

On Wed, 1 Jun 2022 at 05:24, Pier Angelo Vendrame <pierov@torproject.org> wrote:

Hi everyone!

I finally resolved the crash we had for a while [0] in 11.0.13, or so I
hope :grin:. So far, all users have told us that they do not encounter that
problem anymore, so please let us know if it is not the case for you.
I also helped prepare and release the two releases and the two alphas we
had this month (11.0.12, 11.0.13, 11.5a10, and 11.5a12).
Other improvements on my side are that now testbuilds are single
architecture (so they are much faster to build) [1], and all the QA APKs
we produce are now compatible with Android 10+ [2].

For desktop, I updated some of our patches to make them easier to
upstream to Firefox, and I have already sent them to Mozilla [3].
I also set everything up to include an offline copy of the Tor Browser
manual in the bundle and accessible within the browser [4].
Finally, I fixed some minor issues on the work done in the previous
months on the about:torconnect page and on the connection settings.

Thanks,
Pier

[1]
Allow building single-arch Android builds (#40116) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab
[3]
Make Tor Browser easier to fork and uplift (#40917) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[4]
Incorporate Tor Browser Manual pages into Tor Browser (#11698) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab

1 Like