[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, January 2023

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for January 2023.

This month I worked on several small tasks to polish many small details, especially on the tor-browser-build repository.
For example, I removed a shim used to launch tor on Tor Browser for macOS. It was used to declare some Python 2.x compatibility variables for obfs3, so it has not been needed for a long time [0].
Another macOS task was switching our DMG installers from ISO images to HFS filesystems to show a custom volume image [1]. This was quite involved because it introduced reproducibility issues, for which I had to patch the HFS creation to use a deterministic volume UUID [2].
All were part of a parent ticket about cleaning up the "Bundle-Data" directory of Tor Browser [3].
In a somehow related topic, I reviewed how we ship extensions [4]. Moving them to the distribution directory might allow us to enable some profile repair tools if needed, or multiple profiles.

On the Tor Browser side, I fixed a problem when running the browser for a long time [5]. I did not handle stdout correctly when switching from nsIProcess to Subprocess. Shoutout to the members of our community for finding the cause, and apologies for any inconvenience it caused!
Then, I investigated and tried to remove some calls to home that we inherited from Firefox [6].
Finally, I went back to improving our portable profile directory patch. I feel we are reaching its final form.

Best,
Pier

[0] Launch directly the real tor also on macOS, rather than the shim script (#41569) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[1] Show Tor Browser icon as macOS volume (dmg) icon (#28124) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build · GitLab
[2] HFS DMG are not deterministic (#40744) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build · GitLab
[3] Review Bundle-Data and try not to ship the default profile in base browser (#40732) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build · GitLab
[4] Ship NoScript in the distribution directory also for Windows and Linux (#40714) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build · GitLab
[5] tor freeze when receiving to many http proxy requests on socks port (#41549) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab
[6] Tor Browser 11.0.4-11.0.6 phoning home (#40788) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

···