[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, December 2022

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for December 2022.

At the beginning of the month, we of the application team released Tor Browser 12.0 stable. So, in the first week, I worked on some last-minute changes (such as some migration code to remove old language packs [0]), and I helped to release the 12.0.

Then, I started migrating the remaining torbutton code from its dedicated repository to tor-browser.git [1]. We plan to refactor all this code and to better integrate it with the rest of the patch set.
And we started with the localization files: previously, we kept them in torbutton.git, and we ran a script to update them at each release.
Now, we keep only English in tor-browser.git, and the rest of the files are injected during the build. As a result, nightly builds will always have the latest and most updated translations [2].
While doing these changes, we also cleaned unused strings [3] and migrated the localization files from Transifex to Weblate, and I helped emmapeel with this.

Another task I worked on was improving the patch that makes Tor Browser portable. In particular, my previous refactor of this patch still deleted some code that could be helpful when the standalone mode was not enabled. Some users asked us to improve this patch long ago [4].

Then, I wrote a patch for our toolchain to make it able to build the WASI sandbox and include it in Tor Browser [5]. The patch is still under review, so it was not included in 12.5a1.

Finally, I helped prepare and build the first alpha from the 12.5 series.

Best,
Pier

[0] Should we remove previously installed langpacks? (#41435) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[1] Drop the torbutton submodule in 12.5 (#41478) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[2] Use the latest translations for nightly builds (#40679) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab
[3] Clean unused strings (#41375) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[4] Add --enable-tor-browser-data-in-home-dir configure option and code (#20497) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[5] Re-enable rlbox (#40353) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab

ยทยทยท

2 Likes