[tor-project] PieroV's Monthly Status Report, August 2022

Hi everyone!
Here is my status report for August 2022.

This month I worked mainly on the Tor Browser switch from 91.x ESR to 102.x ESR.
At the beginning of the month, I continued reviewing the rebase I started at the end of July [0].

Then, I focused on updating our toolchains, which took me two weeks.
I first found some issues with rustc (the most problematic one was that it got stuck while compiling Firefox on Debian Jessie [1]; I resolved it by enabling jemalloc). I took the occasion to make rustc reuse the LLVM tools we have already been building instead of building them again to shorten the process [2].
Another massive change is that we use only Clang to build Windows binaries (almost: rustc needs to link libgcc, and NSIS has an assembly module that only GCC and MASM can compile) [3].

The next step was some maintenance on the existing code. I linted all our patches, thanks to which we found some minor fixes [4]. It was propedeutic to move tor-launcher and torbutton to the main Tor Browser patchset [5]. I have also started working on it but then stopped to fix the issues Richard found when auditing Firefox closed tickets.
In particular, this week, I have been analyzing new problems related to fingerprinting through fonts [6].

We are finally close to building the first Tor Browser alpha based on 102.2 ESR (12.0a2) for desktop and Android, too!
Please, consider testing it and sending us feedback!

Thanks,
Pier

[0] Rebase tor-browser patches to 102.0esr (desktop) (#40730) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[1] Rust 1.60 not working to build 102 on Debian Jessie (#40591) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab
[2] Consider re-using our LLVM/Clang to build Rust (#40592) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab
[3] Drop mingw-w64/gcc toolchain (#29318) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / tor-browser-build ยท GitLab and linked issues
[4] Fix linting issues (#40012) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[5] Draft: Bug 40933: Move tor-launcher to tor-browser.git (!348) ยท Merge requests ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab
[6] Review Mozilla 1226042: add support for the new 'system-ui' generic font family (#41116) ยท Issues ยท The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser ยท GitLab

ยทยทยท

2 Likes