Here are our meeting logs:
And our meeting pad:
Anti-censorship team meeting pad
Next meeting: Thursday, February 9 16:00 UTC
Weekly meetings, every Thursday at 16:00 UTC, in #tor-meeting at OFTC
(channel is logged while meetings are in progress)
== Goal of this meeting ==
Weekly check-in about the status of anti-censorship work at Tor.
Coordinate collaboration between people/teams on anti-censorship at the Tor Project and Tor community.
== Links to Useful documents ==
* Our anti-censorship roadmap:
* Roadmap: Development · Boards · Anti-censorship · GitLab
* The anti-censorship team's wiki page:
* Home · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
* Past meeting notes can be found at:
* The tor-project Archives
* Tickets that need reviews: from sponsors, we are working on:
* All needs review tickets:
* Merge requests · Anti-censorship · GitLab
* Sponsor 28
* must-do tickets: Sponsor 28: Reliable Anonymous Communication Evading Censors and Repressors (RACECAR) · The Tor Project · GitLab
* possible tickets: Issues · The Tor Project · GitLab
* Sponsor 96
* Sponsor 96: Rapid Expansion of Access to the Uncensored Internet through Tor in China, Hong Kong, & Tibet · The Tor Project · GitLab
* Sponsor 139 <-- hackerncoder, irl, joydeep, meskio, emmapeel working on it
* Riseup Pad
== Announcements ==
== Discussion ==
* is there any proposal to encode bridges into human-memorable form? like a list of words?
* people have trouble pasting in the bridge lines (fail to get the entire line for example), and support wants either:
* something that is easier to copy and paste, or
* and easy way to verify that the line was pasted correctly (visual checksum or similar)
* bridgemoji are meant to serve this role
* gus will open an issue for user research of different options (QR code, sequence of words, others)
* snowflake fallback from domain fronting to amp cache, how/whether/when/etc to implement (Broker side channel fallback mechanism (#40250) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
* arma is going to check how hard would be to change c-tor to only connect to two bridges instead of all of them at once. So maybe we can duplicate bridges with domain fronting and amp cache.
There is a patch which implements this idea:
Let bridge users choose to only reach their first working bridge (#40578) · Issues · The Tor Project / Core / Tor · GitLab
But see also the caveats on
Broker side channel fallback mechanism (#40250) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
* we need to check the consecquences of using amp cache, and if we are ok having half of our users using it
* Three possible options:
* multiple bridge lines with different configurations, having multiple bridges with different fingerprint or fixing tor to allow multipe bridgelines with one fingerprint
* different definitions in TB for domain-front and amp-cache so users can pick
* snowflake client does control the fallback, maybe by passing flags with what to fall back to
* use ampcache for snowflake in IR?
* Blocking of cdn.sstatic.net by SNI in Iran, 2023-01-16 to 2023-01-24 (#115) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
* Use ampcache for snowflake in Iran (!13) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / rdsys-admin · GitLab
* our domain front for both snowflake and circumvention settings was blocked in Iran for 9 days
* Packet loss resulted in performance issue for snowflake in China
* Analysis of speed deficiency of Snowflake in China, 2023 Q1 (#40251) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab
* snowflake fails to bootstrap in the vantage point due to packet lost
* shellikhoo is investigating it
* (from ahf): do we have an idea about how many C tor modifications that needs to be reviewed before s28 is wrapped up? Purely so we can plan this for take-in.
for next week:
* Conjure is in nightly versions of Tor Browser now, an update on how it's going and the roll out plan
== Actions ==
* We should make a ticket for pion to cache its stun answers when possible, because right now it surprises us by asking way more stun questions than it actually needs to.
* We might want to be able to spin up our own stun servers, on our own ip/port, for debugging. We should talk to TPA about that goal at some point (not urgent).
* Roger will look more at Let bridge users choose to only reach their first working bridge (#40578) · Issues · The Tor Project / Core / Tor · GitLab ("only contact the first few working bridges on your bridge list") and plan to have a sense of whether it will be an easy hack or a hard one, for next week.
== Interesting links ==
* Snowflake (software) - Wikipedia
== Reading group ==
* We will discuss "" on
* Questions to ask and goals to have:
* What aspects of the paper are questionable?
* Are there immediate actions we can take based on this work?
* Are there long-term actions we can take based on this work?
* Is there future work that we want to call out in hopes that others will pick it up?
== Updates ==
- What you worked on this week.
- What you are planning to work on next week.
- Something you need help with.
cecylia (cohosh): last updated 2023-02-02
- found and fixed bug in rdsys where pruned resources weren't propagating (rdsys#151)
- finished writing a rust library for rdsys backend distributors
Cecylia Bocovich / rdsys-backend-api · GitLab
- wrote up Jack's documentation for the wireguard setup between stations and bridge in Gitlab
wireguard setup · Wiki · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / conjure · GitLab
- partially debugged issue with conjure hanging from some stations (conjure#22)
- reviewed snowflake!35
- FOCI workshop prep
- FOCI workshop prep
- debug potential issue with some stations hanging (conjure#22)
- debug wireguard setup (conjure#15)
- detect and recover from conjure hangs better (conjure#23)
- more work on lox integration
Needs help with:
- recast the Snowflake fundraising 2022 update into a form for the Tor blog Snowflake 2022 year in review and Open Collective (!154) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Web / blog · GitLab
- documented the roughly one-week blocking of cdn.sstatic.net in Iran Blocking of cdn.sstatic.net by SNI in Iran, 2023-01-16 to 2023-01-24 (#115) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
- migrate goptlib to gitlab migrate away from git.torproject.org (#86) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Team · GitLab
- try Conjure PT development version [tor-dev] Introducing a Conjure PT for Tor
- clean up gettor locale support code
- distribute android apk's in gettor (rdsys#42)
- use the new tor browser pt_config.json builtin bridges in moat (rdsys#146)
- give support to bridgesanner (rdsys#143)
- review rdsys fix to pruned resources bug (rdsys!70)
- review whatsapp gettor integration (rdsys!69)
- support internationalization in rdsys (rdsys#11)
- [Merge Request Awaiting] Add SOCKS5 forward proxy support to snowflake (snowflake!64)
- [Discussion & Deployment] Rollout of Distributed Snowflake Support
- [Coding & Deployment] Proposal: Centralized Probe Result Collector (anti-censorship/team#54)
- [Research] HTTPT Planning Add HTTPT as a pluggable transport to Tor Browser (#1) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / HTTPT · GitLab
- [Merge Request Done] Automated Container Image Building in Continuous integration (Automated Container Image Building in Continuous integration (!2) · Merge requests · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Connectivity Measurement / probeobserver · GitLab)
- research snowflake's performance issue in China(Analysis of speed deficiency of Snowflake in China, 2023 Q1 (#40251) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab)
- push the chunked upload raw data upload change to vantage points
- [Research] WebTunnel planning (Continue)
- Have a download link for raw vantage point packet capture files
Itchy Onion: 2023-1-26
- Investigate whether stun over TLS is beneficial to us (issues#40240)
- Looking at options for standalone proxy runners to specify an interface (issue#40108)
- Lunar New Year break
- Continue working on issue #40108 (standalone proxy bind specific IP)
- Review MRs
- getting ooni-exporter to work with torsf (snowflake)
- work on monitoring bridges health
- work on "bridgetester"?
- setting up snowflakes?
- working on creating a dummy WhatsApp bot
- My bot is not yet working as expected s still trying to figure that out
meskio | https://meskio.net/
My contact info: https://meskio.net/crypto.txt
Nos vamos a Croatan.
tor-project mailing list
tor-project Info Page