Tor metrics doesn't show OR address?

Hi all,
I’ve operated an ipv4 relay for a couple of years for which the Tor metrics page always listed accurate information. Recently I set up a new relay+bridge+hidden services combo (78254AF6AE0F6BFA86D4280BFECFB94DA7487093 if you feel so inclined) for which Tor metrics shows only “IPv4,IPv6” under “OR Addresses” but it doesn’t list the actual IP addresses. Is this something I should worry about?

It’s a bridge, the idea of bridges is to keep the IP address hidden from adversaries that want to block it. So the metrics page doesn’t know what the IP address is.

Thank you!

Please don’t do that!

Running a bridge and a public relay using the same IP address is discouraged as censored users won’t be able to connect to the network.

You can read more about the ways bridge descriptors are redacted:

https://metrics.torproject.org/bridge-descriptors.html

• Sanitizing IPv4 addresses is obviously required to prevent enumeration of bridges. The approach taken is here is to replace IPv4 addresses with syntactical valid addresses in the private IPv4 address space 10/8 based on a keyed hash function that produces the same sanitized address for a given bridge, IPv4 address, and month.

• Similar to IPv4 addresses (Section 3.5), IPv6 addresses are replaced with syntactical valid addresses in the address range [fd9f:2e19:3bcf::/116] based on a keyed hash function that produces the same sanitized address for a given bridge, IPv6 address, and month.

I believe Relay Search knows about the sanitized address formats and replaces them with “IPv4” or “IPv6”.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.