Tor Browser strange border

Hello all, I have been using Tor for a while, Something that has always bothered me is the border around all website content, It has been there on every installation I have used, Across Windows 10, 7, Vista, And some Linux DEs. Is there any way to get rid of it?

Windows 7 Professional
Tor Browser version 102.5.0esr (64-bit)

Hey @Tseeds, it sounds like you’re describing Tor Browser’s letterboxing feature – which reduces the threat of fingerprinting based on your window size by grouping users into a series of common sizes.

3 Likes

Ah, Thank you.

2 Likes

Interesting! Was this feature introduced in Tor Browser 12? I’ve not seen it before even though the window size was increased.

Letterboxing was introduced in Tor Browser 9.0

What platform are you using?

Assuming your browser window is the exact same size as it was before, font or CSS updates between major versions can cause slight variations to the size of the browser chrome, which in turn change the size of your canvas – prompting letterboxing to trigger at a seemingly different interval.

I am using version 12.0a5 on MacOS 12.6.1 (Apple Silicon iMac).

I’ve resized the Tor Browser window in the past. Is this information peristed in some configuration?

Sorry, I’m not sure I understand the question – however it sounds like letterboxing is working as intended for you :slight_smile:

2 Likes