Tor Browser doesn't start

I tried to open the browser with the command:
./start-tor-browser.desktop

Terminal replies this:
“Launching ‘./Browser/start-tor-browser --detach’…”

But the browser doesn’t start

• Linux PC 5.10.0-11-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.92-1 (2022-01-18) x86_64 GNU/Linux
  • tor-browser-linux64-11.0.4_en-US

just use “./start-tor-browser” - the other one is a desktop-link

Seems like the command is running successfully. It’s a bit difficult to tell what’s causing the browser window to not show up.

You can try running ./start-tor-browser.desktop --verbose to see a whole lot of information which might help in debugging.

Note: You will have to run this command from the ‘Browser’ directory (and is pretty much what the .desktop file is doing) :slight_smile:

Output:

./start-tor-browser.desktop --verbose
Launching ‘./Browser/start-tor-browser --detach --verbose’…
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/user/Downloads/tor-browser_en-US/Browser/libxul.so:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn’t load XPCOM.

@Fsjn, can you please check whether you’re running into this issue when using Firefox ESR? Thanks!

Output:

./firefox --verbose
XPCOMGlueLoad error for file /home/user/Downloads/firefox-91.5.1esr/firefox/libxul.so:
libdbus-glib-1.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Couldn’t load XPCOM.

Thanks for testing, @Fsjn! So I think this confirms it is a Firefox ESR (on which Tor Browser is based) issue. I can’t quite place my finger on what exactly is wrong here, but these bug reports look similar to the one you’re running into:

I would encourage you to report this to the applications team: https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/
(or let me know and I can file the ticket.)

Thank you for help, i will report to gitlab when my account will be moderated