Tor Bridge upgrade

Hello,

I am getting warning “Please upgrade! This version of Tor (0.4.5.16) is obsolete, according to the directory authorities. Recommended versions are: 0.4.7.7,0.4.7.8,0.4.7.10”
How do I upgrade my TOR bridge with keeping my Bridge address the same as before? My OS is Linux Debian Bullseye AMD64
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ramin

Hi @goodraminir, you just need to install tor from the Tor Project Debian repository instead of using Debian stable repo. Follow this support page how I can enable Tor Package Repository in Debian?. Thanks for running a bridge!

Thanks Gus, here is what I get after I followed the document:

E: Unable to locate package deb.torproject.org-keyring
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘deb.torproject.org-keyring’

Another question is that do I lose my bridge Fingerprint and Certificate and will have to recreate my bridge address?

Can you paste the result of this command?

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list

No, the new tor won’t overwrite your tor directory. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here you go,

deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org main
deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org main
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org tor-experimental- main
deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org tor-experimental- main
deb [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org tor-nightly-main- main
deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org tor-nightly-main- main
deb [arch= signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org focal main
deb-src [arch= signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] Index of /torproject.org focal main

You are not running focal, dont add those lines. You (probably) don’t want experimental and nightly builds of tor, so dont add those. You are not running <dist> you are running bullseye, change the first two lines to that, and delete the rest

I removed all the experimental, Focal and Nightly lines. I didn’t have “dist” in my “tor.list” file but “bullseye” but not sure why it is not visible in my previous post.
Any way I removed all the extra lines and saved. Stopped and started TOR service and ran the command “wget -qO- https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org/A3C4F0F979CAA22CDBA8F512EE8CBC9E886DDD89.asc | gpg --dearmor | tee /usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg >/dev/null”
Which ran with no issues and then ran “apt update” which returned the following output:
Ign:7 Index of /torproject.org InRelease
Err:8 Index of /torproject.org Release
404 Not Found [IP: 116.202.120.166 443]
Get:9 Index of /debian bullseye-backports/main amd64 Packages.diff/Index [63.3 kB]
Get:10 Index of /debian bullseye-backports/main amd64 Packages T-2023-03-04-2013.20-F-2023-03-03-2010.44.pdiff [2,380 B]
Get:10 Index of /debian bullseye-backports/main amd64 Packages T-2023-03-04-2013.20-F-2023-03-03-2010.44.pdiff [2,380 B]
Reading package lists… Done
E: The repository ‘Index of /torproject.org Release’ does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can’t be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

Then running command " apt install tor deb.torproject.org-keyring" returned the follwoing:
Reading package lists… Done
Building dependency tree… Done
Reading state information… Done
E: Unable to locate package deb.torproject.org-keyring
E: Couldn’t find any package by glob ‘deb.torproject.org-keyring’

Ign:7 Index of /torproject.org 1 InRelease

Somethings still wrong with the line in your sources list
You probably have <bullseye> in your file, change it tobullseye. If not, copy the contents here.

1 Like

Ah, that was the trick. Thanks a lot and sorry to waste your time for such a stupidity. :expressionless:

I’m having a similar issue. I’m running 0.4.5.10 and struggling to upgrade.

I’m running on armhf (a Raspberry Pi).

Apt-get upgrade tor returns:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
tor : Depends: libc6 (>= 2.29) but 2.28-10+rpt2+rpi1+deb10u1 is to be installed
Depends: libevent-2.1-7 (>= 2.1.8-stable) but it is not installable
Depends: libgcc-s1 (>= 3.5) but it is not installable
Depends: libzstd1 (>= 1.4.0) but 1.3.8+dfsg-3+rpi1+deb10u2 is to be installed
Depends: runit-helper (>= 2.10.0~) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages

cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list returns:

deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org <DISTRIBUTION> main
deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org <DISTRIBUTION> main

Any help gratefully appreciated - thank you!

Update your /etc/apt/sources.list.d/tor.list with:

deb     [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org bullseye main
deb-src [signed-by=/usr/share/keyrings/tor-archive-keyring.gpg] https://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org bullseye main

You need to replace <DISTRIBUTION> with your Debian release codename, for example, bullseye.

Thank you. I’m now getting this error:

N: Skipping acquire of configured file ‘main/binary-armhf/Packages’ as repository ‘Index of /torproject.org buster InRelease’ doesn’t support architecture ‘armhf’

Looks like the issue is the package repository does not offer 32-bit ARM architecture (armhf ) images and official advice seems to be to build from source. I’ve never done this before, but seem to have figured it out partially.

I’ve got tor-0.4.7.13 installed and I can run it using the command ‘tor’ - however it’s visible in the command line rather than running as a service in the background. How can I create the tor service so this runs on boot in the background?

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.