Stuck on establishing a connection

Hello guys,

I have a fresh installation of windows 11 education on my new pc. I tried using the tor browser but it gets stuck in “establishing a connection” step. I use the standard security level. Note that it works fine in a linux virtual machine running in the same pc…

Screenshot of the problem

Tor logs are blank.

In the console logs this message keeps getting printed: TorLauncher NOTE: failed to open authenticated connection: [scrubbed]

The console errors are these:
Could not load engine google@search.mozilla.org: Error: Extension is invalid SearchService.jsm:609:17

Could not load engine blockchair-onion@search.mozilla.org: Error: Extension is invalid SearchService.jsm:609:17

[Exception… “Component returned failure code: 0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH) [nsIXPCComponents_Utils.readUTF8URI]” nsresult: “0x80520001 (NS_ERROR_FILE_UNRECOGNIZED_PATH)” location: “JS frame :: resource://gre/modules/L10nRegistry.jsm :: L10nRegistry.loadSync :: line 707” data: no] 2 L10nRegistry.jsm:707:19

NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED: Component returned failure code: 0x804b000d (NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) [nsIScriptableInputStream.available] tor-control-port.js:128

NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED: Component returned failure code: 0x804b000d (NS_ERROR_CONNECTION_REFUSED) [nsIScriptableInputStream.available] tor-control-port.js:128

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

1 Like

If your on an education version of windows 11, it may be tryin to cockblock you. Microsoft has had a few bad ideas as of late, and windows 11 is closer to spyware than a genuine OS these days. That said, looks to me like a javascript issue.

Try disabling javascript in tor browser settings and restart it, see if that helps, otherwise, might try a reinstall

1 Like

Unfortunately disabling javascript and reinstalling didn’t solve the problem. It’s definitely a windows issue and I think it also appears when I try to install an app called gameranger, where I get an error “no response from the server”.

Maybe use VM Ware to create a machine within your computer and use the iso of some other OS. If it still won’t work then it could be a router firewall issue perhaps

This topic was automatically closed 2 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.