Snowflake proxies for Iran

I’m running 5 snowflake proxy nodes on a server hosted in a neighbouring country of Iran.

A quick question -

Does broker select snowflake proxy nodes randomly or based on proximity to client?

Also, can someone from Iran confirm if the speed of snowflake still terribly slow? I can run few additional nodes as well if required.

As far as i know selection process in randomly.

Yes, the proxies are chosen somewhat randomly. See a relevant issue: Run multiple snowflake bridges and optimize for least latency most throughput by GeoIP based route selection (#31661) · Issues · The Tor Project / Anti-censorship / Pluggable Transports / Snowflake · GitLab

1 Like

“Sorry I thought I deleted the original post before approval, I guess it was after it was approved”

They are chosen randomly. Being in the neighbouring countries does help with the ping time though.

Regardless of the location, I can assure you that the vast majority of snowflake users are from Iran. At least on my servers, 17 of them running from 4 geo locations. And by vast majority, I mean something in the range of 85% of users. So slow or not, it seems to be working for them.

Here’s a random look at the conntrack table on my servers:

1 Australia
      1 Belgium
      1 Finland
      2 France
     46 Iran
      1 Netherlands
      2 Poland
      1 Russia
      1 United Arab Emirates
      1 United Kingdom
      2 United States
      1 Austria
      2 Finland
      2 France
      1 Germany
      1 Hong Kong
     41 Iran
      1 Italy
      1 Lithuania
      2 Russia
      2 United Arab Emirates
      1 United Kingdom
      4 United States
      2 France
      2 Germany
      1 Hong Kong
     36 Iran
      1 Russia
      1 Ukraine
      1 United States
      1 France
     39 Iran
      1 Italy
      4 Russia
      1 United Kingdom
      4 United States

And it doesn’t matter what time of the day, the ratio is pretty consistent. So rest assured, you’re helping.

2 Likes

Hello,
I recently came across this thread and am in a learning phase with my own snowflake node cluster. Using Ubuntu/Docker.

How did you come up with this list of counties using your snowflake and conntrack? I’m interested. Is it a set of commands, a tutorial, etc. I want to see this for myself since I support the Iranian cause and I also want to know where the majority of my traffic comes from.

TIA

1 Like

using only tor could be enough now to you. Did you try at least tor browser ?

1 Like

@armforcefar
I put a script together to do the job. Getting the ip list from conntrack is easy, doing the geoip part is a paid service. However if used in a limited fashion, there is a free API that you can use.

I wrote a script that can be used with the free API and put it -among a few other scripts- in my repository Enkidu-6/snowflake for you and others that might find them useful . But please read the instructions before using them and don’t overdo it.

This is an aggregated results from only one of my servers which shows Iranians pretty much own snowflake. :smiley:

1 Algeria
      1 Canada
      6 China
      2 Finland
      1 France
      2 Germany
      1 Hong Kong
    320 Iran
      1 Italy
      1 Japan
      3 Russia
      1 United Kingdom