Re: [tor-relays] Hardware requirements for a fast Tor relay

Hi Gary,

thank you for your response.

I think I just worry too much.

I watched my relay all the time today, I had bandwidth usage of 30MB/s at times and HTOP showed me a Load average of 0.29/0.29/0.30. I know that this is totally fine for a dual core.

The relay is up and running for 3 days and 8 hours now and I already moved ~700GB in each direction (upload/download). I was just concerned because the VPS started crashing after 2 weeks solid uptime, but I should have set stricter bandwith limits.

You can’t really compare a VM with a root server, I don’t think this will happen again.

It’s ok for me to invest a little more and have a fast and stable relay this way. The traffic was capped with the VPS plan, this was obviously a big disadvantage, now I can use as much traffic as I want with a 2,5Gbit link (1Gbit guaranteed).

For your info, the most important lines of my config:

SocksPort 0

Log notice file /var/log…

Log debug file /var/log…

ORPort 443

RelayBandwithRate 1000Mbit

RelayBandwithBurst 1000Mbit

Exit policy reject :

ContactInfo & Nickname set, of course… :wink:

Is there anything I should change?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards…

The following are some of the more important config options that I use for such a small middle relay:

Tor: A non-exit relay should be able to handle 7000 concurrent connections

ulimit -n 65535

DirCache 0

ExitRelay 0

Note: The default MaxMeminQueues is 3/4 (i.e., 192MB) of Total System Memory (i.e., 256MB)

Uncomment the following line to limit Tor to use less System Memory (i.e., 128MB)

MaxMemInQueues 192 MB

Log notice file /tmp/torlog

Log notice syslog

RunAsDaemon 1

DataDirectory /tmp/tor/torrc.d/.tordb

AvoidDiskWrites 1

···

This Message Originated by the Sun.
iBigBlue 63W Solar Array (~12 Hour Charge)

• 2 x Charmast 26800mAh Power Banks
    = iPhone XS Max 512GB (~2 Weeks Charged)

On Wednesday, November 10, 2021, 2:36:13 AM MST, failing.flyaway443— via tor-relays tor-relays@lists.torproject.org wrote:

Hi Gary,

thank you for your response.

I think I just worry too much.

I watched my relay all the time today, I had bandwidth usage of 30MB/s at times and HTOP showed me a Load average of 0.29/0.29/0.30. I know that this is totally fine for a dual core.

The relay is up and running for 3 days and 8 hours now and I already moved ~700GB in each direction (upload/download). I was just concerned because the VPS started crashing after 2 weeks solid uptime, but I should have set stricter bandwith limits.

You can’t really compare a VM with a root server, I don’t think this will happen again.

It’s ok for me to invest a little more and have a fast and stable relay this way. The traffic was capped with the VPS plan, this was obviously a big disadvantage, now I can use as much traffic as I want with a 2,5Gbit link (1Gbit guaranteed).

For your info, the most important lines of my config:

SocksPort 0

Log notice file /var/log…

Log debug file /var/log…

ORPort 443

RelayBandwithRate 1000Mbit

RelayBandwithBurst 1000Mbit

Exit policy reject :

ContactInfo & Nickname set, of course… :wink:

Is there anything I should change?

Thanks for your help!

Best Regards…