Online Hacking Week at The Tor Project

The Tor Project and Tor community is going to be gathering online from June 27th to July 1st this year for a 5 days hackweek.

This is a call for projects for whoever wants to participate, put together a team and hack through that last week of June with us. In the context of this hackweek, a project is anything related to Tor that you can work with other people in 5 days. It could be a coding project or something to analyze data but it could also be a cartoon or anything that do not necesary requires coding skills. You will work on this project during 5 days with other people in your team. At the end we are going to have a demo in a Big Blue Button’s room where your team will present the work you did through the week.

This will be the timeline for the hackweek:

• Send hackweek project proposals to this portal: https://hackweek.onionize.space/hackweek/. Before hackweek begins, start looking for other people to join your team. People will also have the opportunity to join your team on Monday when the hackweek begins.

• Monday, June 27th: Hackweek begins. The liaisons for each project will present their projects in a BBB room. By this time, you should have a few members of your team already identified.

• Hack hack hack hack… in whatever way you organize yourself. We will have room #tor in irc.oftc.net to discuss general hack week things.

• Friday, July 1st: Hackweek ends. Each team presents the work at 16UTC in the same BBB room.

List of projects proposed:

Each project has a pad with all the information about it as well as how to join.

Update on June 27th: Adding link to where the presentation of projects will be and the list of projects right before the hackweek starts.

9 Likes

Wow! Sounds good. I’m currently in the process of putting a team together! :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Can I join in?

@SHooter, by all means! Watch this space for more updates but the Hackweek commences next Monday. You can have a look at the proposed projects: https://hackweek.onionize.space/hackweek/schedule

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m new to this, mind showing me the ropes?

Sure. On Monday (27th June) we will have a Big Blue Button call (the link will be shared beforehand) where all project liaisons will present their projects - details about the project, skills required, goals of the project, etc. According to your interests you can then join a team and the teams will work on their projects throughout the week. On Friday, each team will then present their work concluding the hackweek.

You can a see a list of projects that have been proposed on the URL I shared earlier. Do have a look and see which one of them you will be interested to work on during the hackweek.

For any other updates, I recommend watching this space. I hope that helps!

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: Why no campaign against US and EU anti-encryption bills?

Pasting here @gaba’s email:

This week we are holding Tor’s hack week. We will have people coming together to hack on several projects [0] proposed in the last few weeks. If you have any new proposal please submit it asap [1] before Monday 1600 UTC.

So far we have 10 projects [0]. Each project has a pad [0] where you can find more information about it, who is on the team, and where people are going to meet during the week. All these projects will be presented on Monday at 1600 UTC in a BBB room [2]. You can add yourself to the pad of the team you want to collaborate with and ask any questions during the presentation on Monday.

To summarize the presentation will be:

Monday, June 27th at 1600 UTC
ROOM: Hackweek 2022

happy hacking!
gaba

1. hackweek info The Tor Project / Community / Hackweek · GitLab
  2. Proposals The Tor Project's Hackweek :: pretalx
  3. BBB Hackweek 2022
1 Like