Norton 360 Antivirus now considers Tor Browser as a Trojan and removes it from a computer - 1st noticed Dec 9, 2022

Good News!
No security vendors and no sandboxes flagged this file as malicious.
it says 1 hour ago. it is now 12-Dec-2022 23:21 UTC-5

Looks like Norton fixed it or just followed the lead of others

Have not tried it yet

Just scanned it and OK and file insights trust it. Huston we have lift off.

I have Norton 360 deluxe. Does your version not have settings? Because that is where I changed 4 settings and have had no more problems. I hope the below information helps.

Settings - Firewall - Program control - set Tor option to allow

Settings - Antivirus - Data protector - Process exclusions - Add Tor to the list

Settings - Antivirus - Scans and risks - Items to exclude from scans - Add Tor to the list

Settings - Antivirus - Scans and risks - Items to exclude from auto protect, script control, etc, etc - Add Tor to the list

I have now reported this as a false positive using the above link, even though I did it verbally talking to Norton Dec 9

Let’s see what Norton does about it…

1 Like

how can i open tor browser again? its 4 days now that i can’t open my tor browser!!! whats happening ??? its stressed me out

Windows 10, Tor 12

Firstly. I have the Norton problem and I can’t find a way round it - even when my Norton was disabled, I tried the various kinds of bridges and none of them would connect.

But is there more to it than that? Is Tor Browser being outlawed in the UK, US, Australia and other “democracies”?

I’m asking that because Brave browser has suddenly stopped its Tor interface. And apparently (according to my other half, who put in a complaint to Norton earlier today) Norton are just one of many VPN providers who have made the decision to block Tor because they “had evidence it was used for illegal activities”. (That old saying about censorship - “equivalent to treating dandruff by decapitation” - springs to mind).

Please see the below topic under “Feedback”. Please follow the instructions and Norton link towards the bottom to report the false positive. The more reports the faster Norton will fix it.

Some antiviruses consider that files that have not been seen/used by a lot of users as suspicious. This can sometimes happen when there is a new version of the software. Hence, some antivirus software will pop up malware and/or vulnerability warnings when Tor Browser is launched. If you downloaded Tor Browser from our main website or used GetTor, and verified it, these are false positives and you have nothing to worry about. That said, I’d also encourage to report these false positives to the AV program so they can keep this information up to date.

I understand the concern but also on the positive side of things it seems (thanks to more and more users reporting the false positives) some anti-viruses have stopped showing these prompts. If you have downloaded a Tor Browser from our main website (or simply updated from the previous version) or used GetTor, and verified it, these are indeed false positives.

That said, what is the error you’re running into now when you launch the browser? Is it the same prompts from the anti-virus? From your earlier comment on the thread I am getting the impression that the anti-virus software might have already removed or deleted tor.exe, so you might have to download Tor Browser again.

Bonds: I only have Norton 360. I was not aware there was a “deluxe” version.

Plain Norton 360 does not have those settings options.

But good news… It now works. Norton has fixed the issue.

David: Norton has fixed it. Please see my post where I provide full instructions.

Success: Norton has fixed it.

However you may need to do the following:

1. Update your Norton Antivirus (download the latest definitions, etc.) Norton may not update automatically every time you are online.

2. Reboot your computer.

3. Redownload and reinstall Tor Browser.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions and comments.

Please mark this issue as resolved (as long as people update their Norton and refresh their computer and Tor Browser).

Allan2u

I’m having the same problem with Norton and don’t seem to be able to get round it :frowning:

marbul:

I suggest that you delete the Tor Browser files and folder on your computer.

Then open Norton, and find the place where you can tell it to update itself - and be sure that you have the latest update.

Next reboot your computer.

After that, download and install Tor Browser from the Tor Webpage.

Then it should work. Let us know if this does not work.

I am using Norton too, but I haven’t receive such warning. I have scanned the package, and haven’t found such issue, is this an issue about certain version?

This was a temporary issue post-Tor Browser 12 release.

OK, I thought this issue is still going on :sweat_smile:, still thank you for answering me.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.