New Release: Tor Browser 11.0

Thanks @HackerNCoder, I’m getting successfully redirected to the non-JavaScript site with a fresh install on MacOS. Are you running Windows as well @yoob?

Edit: I’ve opened an issue for this JS bug on Windows here – Bug #40695

1 Like

Got it, thanks @hajj3! I’ve opened Bug #40698 to look into this further.

Yes, thank you @HackerNCoder , I forgot to mention it’s Windows 10.
And thank you @donuts much appreciated. There’s also https://www.jsstatus.com/ to check javascript status, just in case.

1 Like

There is also https://people.torproject.org/~sysrqb/test_security_level.html!

2 Likes

I was looking through the settings of my freshly installed copy of Tor Browser 11.0 and noticed that the recommend extensions/features as you browse options were activated by default (see screenshot). Would it be possible to have these options deactivated by default in future versions of Tor Browser?

A post was split to a new topic: When updating to the latest version of Onion Browser it says i need IOS 10.12 which i do not have what are my options?

UI-breakage due to not using permanent private browsing mode

11.0a9 (91.2.0esr) 64-bit Windows (on Windows 8.1) is the last working version for me.
11.0a11 and the release version 11.0 both show the depicted behaviour when switching off the setting
“Always use private browsing mode”.
A clean/new profile was used to replicate this problem.
The UI-breakage in the screenshot doesn’t look so severe, but starting from one of my saved sessions the tab-height reaches half the screen height and more thus making the browser useless.

For windows is not available but there is the last version.
The reason is the bugs that v.11 have?

Yes. We found out that due to one of the bugs NoScript wasn’t working in Tor Browser 11 for windows, this is really bad as the security levels (safer and safest) depend on NoScript.

1 Like

Hi @Gatsby, thanks for the heads up! I’m not sure if those have been deactivated at a higher level already, but I’ve opened a ticket to investigate: Bug #40700

2 Likes

Thanks for the report @sarah! It looks like you’re experiencing a variety of Bug #40690 . We have a fix in the works, otherwise as you’ve pointed out enabling “Always use private browsing mode” will solve the UI issues in the meantime.

2 Likes

Hi @SWintheSKY, @HackerNCoder is correct – we’ve temporarily reverted the Windows version on the download page to 10.5.10 while we investigate the issue with NoScript (see Bug 40695 ). I’ll add a note to the release post to that effect too.

2 Likes

Thanks for reporting @ylore. We’ve opened Bug #40693 to track this issue, and have added it to the list of known issues in the release posts too.

1 Like

about:tor (default homepage) > view changelog (link in upper right corner) >
"The requested page could not be found. "

link is
https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-110
but should be
https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-11-0

Thanks for reporting the broken link @flamingo! I’ve requested a redirect which should fix it in the short-term (once it’s set up), however I also encountered some extra weirdness that I’ve documented in Bug #40705 too.

Edit: The redirect seems to be working now thanks to some quick-acting from the SysAdmin team.

2 Likes

#40703 already has this reported. Just want to add a confirmation of the issue and ask how to downgrade to previous to version.

• Operating System you are using
    Fedora 35

• Tor Browser version

• Tor Browser Security Level
    After bug occured, I did a fresh install, so it should be default. Can’t look it up though.

• Step by step of how you got to the issue, so we can reproduce it (e.g. I opened the browser, typed a url, clicked on (i) icon, then my browser crashed)
    First, updated to 11.0 from old install. Fonts are completely mangled. The did a fresh install to no avail.

• (optional) A screenshot of the problem

• The Tor log
    don’t know how and the state of the gui is not helping

It’s a know issue: Fonts don't render (#40671) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / Tor Browser · GitLab

1 Like

Same here: Fedora 33

The address bar is small, and it looks like the contents are off to one side:

I’m running OSX 11.6

Same over here: