New Release: Tor Browser 11.0.8 (Android)

by aguestuser | March 12, 2022

Tor Browser 11.0.8 is now available from the Tor Browser download page and also from our distribution directory.

This version includes important security updates to Firefox:

Tor Browser 11.0.8 updates Firefox to 96.0.3 and includes bufixes and stability improvements. Notably, we fixed a bug preventing downloads on Android 10 and above.

We also use the opportunity to update various components of Tor Browser, bumping Tor to 0.4.6.10, NoScript to 11.3.7, while switching to the latest stable version of Go (1.16.15) for building our Go-related projects.

The full changelog since the last Android update in Tor Browser 11.0.6 is:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://blog.torproject.org/new-release-tor-browser-1108/
4 Likes

Thanks for the update. After updating and opening the App, it’s just crashing. I had to downgrade to the prior version 11.0.6.

I’m using the aarch64 build.

@hilperta, thanks for reporting. I presume you’re using a custom ROM like Graphene OS or Lineage OS as well? We are tracking this issue, here: Tor Browser Crashing on 11.0.8 (#40212) · Issues · The Tor Project / Applications / fenix · GitLab

2 Likes

Update on fenix#40212: This bug is not limited to custom Android ROMs but can be reproduced on stock Android as well. As a workaround, until the bug is resolved, relaunching the browser a couple of times seems to be working alright.

4 Likes

After the latest update tor isn’t working on my phone anymore. When I open the app it immediately crashes. Is there any fix to this?

@Mia, I believe it is possible to resolve the crash by simply re-launching the browser. In case that doesn’t work, please let us know!

Still doesn’t work. I tried, reinstalling it, force stop then launch, reboot my phone but the app just crashed in milliseconds after being launched.

It is crashing for me too.
I am on Crdroid 7.15 on Oneplus 6T
Tor Browser 11.0.8

Any ideas as to when TBA 11.0.10 is due? Android seems to always come out later despite being easier to code. Does this gap in releases indicate big changes are due?