New Release: Tor Browser 11.0.1

Thanks for confirming @chronoquairium! I suspect the issue was present in 11.0 too, it just didn’t get reported (or discovered by the reporters) until 11.0.1. Your experience definitely corroborates this.

OK … let’s try this again;

“Please advise as to how to best mitigate the multitude of issues with this new release, and/or best means to revert back to the previous working TOR browser so we may continue our vital work.”

So, do we revert to previous version/s of Tor?

… And how would it be done safely and without losing anything?

… OR do we switch to other browsers or solutions?

Another words, what do we do in the meantime?

1 Like

UPDATE: this “solution” actually does NOT work all the time. There are instances (when logged-in via https://old.protonmail.com) the same issues (TAB crash) happen and therefore render TOR Browser USELESS (unusable!)

UNACCEPTABLE and many of our users have mostly removed ALL instances of TOR Browser!

Unfortunately, there has been NO useful communication of any kind from the “TOR” “camp” . . . that is, WE (appears to be Windows 10 users) are NOT able to use the TOR browser unless some extraordinary steps are taken. The ONLY way in which WE (and I do mean several hundred users in the Los Angeles, CA, USA area) are able to use the TOR browser, is by (1) removing TOR version 11.0.1 from our devices, completely, then (2) re-installing TOR version 10.5.8, then (3) running the TOR browser WITHOUT a connection (so NO UPDATES happen), then (4) in Options, Tor Browser Updates, Allow Tor Browser to, select option “check for updates but let you choose to install them” and finally (5) CONNECT the TOR Browser to the TOR Network and IGNORE the stupid messages that there is an update available!

NO OTHER method/solution, so far, allows US to use the TOR Browser without the multitude of issues plaguing Windows 10 users. I guess only WE take care of US! 'nuff said!

Hi @MrYnLA, sorry to hear that your organization is having issues with the latest Tor Browser release. Please remember that the Tor Project is a small non-profit.
Windows users reported that they could use ProtonMail onion service without issues: it’s a secure and official version of their website. You can visit here: https://protonmailrmez3lotccipshtkleegetolb73fuirgj7r4o4vfu7ozyd.onion/login
Or, after loading mail.protonmail.com, you can click on ".onion available" purple pill.

2 Likes

Hi @g7777, although as a last resort you may reinstall 10.5.10, this version of Tor Browser is outdated and is missing important security updates.

As such, where possible, we would strongly recommend continuing to use Tor Browser 11.0.1 with any of workarounds identified in the tickets above while we work on fixing the Windows issues (for example: using Tor Browser without additional add-ons or extensions).

Thanks for your patience!

Unsure about what you are “suggesting” to mitigate the “TAB crash” bug, which occurs on several sites other than ProtonMail.

Re: protonmail onion server connection via TOR browser version 11.0.1 – the “TAB crash” bug is still present and renders TOR broswer USELESS! However, if we revert back to a less buggy (for windows 10 users) version of TOR (10.5.8) then the “TAB crash” bug does not manifest! This is the ONLY for any of our users to continue to use the TOR browser/network.

I have a comment for Issue 40685: Monospace font in browser chrome. I noticed the problem goes away if I set gfx.e10s.font-list.shared to true in about:config and quit and re-start the browser.

Edit to add information:
My platform is a VM with Ubuntu 21.10 and XFCE. I have disabled hardware acceleration in settings and the VM does not have a GPU or llvmpipe. The problem does not appear with 10.5.10. The only .ttf files outside of the Tor Browser directory are DejaVuSans-Bold.ttf, DejaVuSans.ttf, DejaVuSansMono-Bold.ttf, DejaVuSerif-Bold.ttf, DejaVuSansMono.ttf, DejaVuSerif.ttf. The browser dev tools say that the monospaced font on the browser chrome is Cousine which must have come from Tor Brower’s bundled fonts.

1 Like

Thanks @torforumthrowaway, I’ve added your comment to the ticket :slight_smile:

I accidentally clicked hide picture in picture toggle while watching videos. How do I show the toggle again? Can’t seem to find it anywhere. Thank you.

Hi @wm50, unfortunately Tor Browser doesn’t officially support picture-in-picture mode, and won’t until the safety of this feature has been fully investigated. When Tor Browser 11 was updated to the Firefox 91 ESR, our previous method for deactivating PIP in the browser was no longer sufficient – and the video controls unintentionally became accessible.

This was identified in Bug 40147 and should be fully deactivated again an upcoming release. Apologies for the confusion!

Since i don’t know where else to complaint i do it here. Tor update is a failure. I can hardly connect and if i do i cannot open my emails, getting failure messages every time i click on one. tried to reinstall. Then it works, until, you can guess it, the second time i try to get on the internet. So can someone congratulate the team that worked on this update. My internet acces is now limited to zero.

Hi @Bryan1001, I understand you had posted this about 3 weeks ago but the comment got lost since it was in the Tor Browser Feedback category. I am sorry to hear about your experience with the latest update to Tor Browser. There are some known issues which are under investigation and should be fixed in upcoming updates.

It seems like you’re hitting Bug 40721. Please see some of the workarounds mentioned in the thread and check whether those work for you.

1 Like

Hello pals, all the best to you all.
Listen I am having the same issues as people started mentioning them over a month ago. I have as today, Dec 7, 2021 the latest Tor upgrade…when trying to sign in my Proton account became a real pain then I downgraded…waited for two or three more upgrades then I switched. Unfortunately I am having the same issues with two lap tops…with the oldest I am unable to sign in to Proton…with the other one I successfully login to my Proton account after the third time…how it happened?..I have no idea…I took some screen shots hoping I could share here but I do not see how…any way, what I am trying to say is that this issue still persist now in Dec 7, 2021.
I would really appreciate if when the solution or fix comes you let me know.
Thank you so much for your great work guys!!!
P.D.
When using Firefox I didnt have this problem, its how I was able to sign in to my Github account then into this forum

v11.0.2 is out now i see.

Hi @LupoIam, thanks for the kind words and I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re experiencing with Tor Browser. As you can see in the ticket there’s been some progress with this issue recently (Bug #40721), and we’ve reported the bug to Mozilla too. In the meantime please see some of the workarounds mentioned higher in the thread.

Hey @hajj3, yes – we’re in the process of releasing it at the moment! There will be a new blog and forum post up with the precise changelog soon, although I’m afraid it doesn’t include fixes for the tab and extension crashing issues on Windows yet (which we’re still working on).

gus this is not working neither, it did it for a while and it worked but as for december 8 2021, Tor crashes…I disable htpps, onion sites, clean history and cookies an even change bridges…by the way Tor is not allowing me on the latest version to request a bridge from the main page…at the beginning I was able to have access to my Proton account this way…but Tor site is not showing me / providing new bridges as it usually does in two different lap tops.
I am able to logged into my account but as soon as i clik on one email Tor crashes…something that I did notice is that when log in to my account it does it on a page then something like a flash comes and another page takes over…it really weird.
I did comment like a week ago (and you replied that time gus) that my computer was crashing completely…not only Tor…but the entire OS…I am on windows 10 and these computers are so close to be hammered down badly…switching to Linux pretty soon.

What security level do you have Tor Browser set to, @LupoIam? Do the crashes still occur on the “Safer” level?

Looks like . Bug #40698 is closed or at least 404 error so I cannot post there…