New Release: Tor Browser 11.0.1

According to some users, a workaround is to use: https://old.protonmail.com

you really should remove v11.0.1 from your site and revert it back to v10.5.x until these major bugs are fixed. Only users on v11.0.0 should be upgraded to v11.0.1.

1 Like

Nope … only works on some fully open unprotected Win10 boxes.

This works on most systems; [from Protonmail support]
“To do so, navigate to your browser Settings Privacy and security “Onion Services”. If it is set to Always, could you please change it to Ask every time, and see if it will help?”

What do you mean by “open unprotected Win10”?

Can you add that specific information here:

https://gitlab.torproject.org/tpo/applications/tor-browser/-/issues/40721

Great to hear that their onion site is working with TB-11!

Unprotected = no add-ons such as Ublock, add-on antivirus etc.
it still doesn’t work on all OS’s

A post was split to a new topic: Should I install a new add-on or extension in Tor Browser, like AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin?

A post was merged into an existing topic: Should I install a new add-on or extension in Tor Browser, like AdBlock Plus or uBlock Origin?

Earlier today I was trying to donate to the Open Broadcaster Software project via their Open Collective page and experienced a tab crash.

Security level: Standard

Steps to reproduce:

Thanks @Gatsby, I’ve added your reports to this ticket: Bug #40721

1 Like

9 posts were split to a new topic: Tor Browser for Android users and screen size

While we are able to “use” Protonmail, using the link provided for a supposed “workaround,” that link is NOT “onion” and therefore, not quite a proper “workaround.” However, thank you for your help!

Hello - none of the Protonmail workarounds on this page actually work, in my experience - so I must assume none of the other problems identified on this thread have been resolved.

With regard to all the problems identified on this page - they should have been identified by the Tor technical staff (it’s their job, not ours).
If it had been released, and it took 48 hours for the flaws in v11-0-1 to be identified and replaced, that would still be at least 24 hours too many.

Hi @SpiralInsana, you can find a list of the known issues in Tor Browser 11.0.1 in the first post of this thread, and follow the linked tickets for updates too.

Hey @Armadillo, regarding your original question which never got answered – we’re currently updating Tor Browser for Android to use a newer version of Fenix (a.k.a. Firefox for Android), which included some significant changes. Tor Browser 11 for Android will be released shortly after the update is complete and has been tested by our alpha testers. Thanks for your patience!

2 Likes

Hi @MrYnLA, I understand – a working onion site would certainly be preferable. We’re looking into the issue and you can follow this ticket for updates if you wish: Bug #40721

In the meantime, I’m glad to hear that the old domain seems to be working.

1 Like

Adding my own encounter with bug 40721, the entire Twitch.tv site crashes immediately on loading, regardless of what page or however many refreshes you do. This happened on both 11.0 and 11.0.1.

Hi @chronoquairium, are you running Windows 10 as well?

Yes, Windows 10 - Pro if that matters. I looked through the bug report and several duplicates and everything matches up, except that this also happened on 11.0, which seems to be just me. Since the update, the crash did not change either in when or where it happened.

Thanks for confirming @chronoquairium! I suspect the issue was present in 11.0 too, it just didn’t get reported (or discovered by the reporters) until 11.0.1. Your experience definitely corroborates this.