New Release: Tor Browser 11.0.1

Tor Browser 11.0.1 is now available from the Tor Browser download page and also from our distribution directory.

This version provides important bug fixes on Windows, MacOS, and Linux, and includes blockchain explorer Blockchair as a search option.

Search with Blockchair :tada:

Tor Browser users can now explore the data from 17 different blockchains from a single search engine with Blockchair. Type Blockchair and hit tab or select the Search with Blockchair shortcut to search directly from the address bar. Or, if you prefer, you can also set Blockchair as your Default Search Engine from within Tor Browser’s Search settings (about:preferences#search).

Full changelog

The full changelog since Tor Browser 11.0 is:

• Windows, MacOS & Linux:
    • Tor Launcher 0.2.32
    • Bug 40059: YEC activist sign empty in about:tor on RTL locales
    • Bug 40383: Workaround issue in https-e wasm
    • Bug 40438: Add Blockchair as a search engine
    • Bug 40689: Change Blockchair Search provider’s HTTP method
    • Bug 40690: Browser chrome breaks when private browsing mode is turned off
    • Bug 40700: Switch Firefox recommendations off by default

Known issues

Tor Browser 11.0.1 comes with a number of known issues (please check the following list before submitting a new bug report):

• Bug 40668 : DocumentFreezer & file scheme
  • Bug 40382 : Fonts don’t render (see also: Bug 40703)
  • Bug 40679 : Missing features on first-time launch in esr91 on MacOS
  • Bug 40667: AV1 videos shows as corrupt files in Windows 8.1
  • Bug 40666 : Switching svg.disable affects NoScript settings
  • Bug 40693 : Potential Wayland dependency
  • Bug 40692: Picture-in-Picture is enabled on tbb 11.0a10
  • Bug 40705: “visit our website” link on about:tbupdate pointing to different locations
  • Bug 40706: Fix issue in https-e wasm
  • Bug 40698: Addon menus missing content in TB11
  • Bug 40721: Tabs crashing on certain pages in TB11 on Win 10
2 Likes

Tor 11.0.1 update on OS win7 & win10 disables all add-ons, resets customize settings, crashes Protonmail when clicked on specific email. All security levels.
Furthermore kicks userChrome.css or garbles it so badly it makes Tor unusable. Had to disable/reset/reconfigure userChrome to get Tor partially back up.
Unable to see/watch Youtube and many other video sites.
This seems only the start of problems with this update as it’s only as far i got.
And for the love of Gods and for the …nth time, could someone add the option of having tabs below address bar?

All addons are broken with private mode disabled!

Hello everyone,

The bug #40382 remains, I published yesterday a screenshot in Gitlab.
It’s embarrassing yes but, reading some posts, I realize that, for my part, it’s been more than thirty years that dozens of strangers help me for free to try to preserve my freedom, my anonymity, and I take this opportunity to thank them, to you, very warmly.

I remember for example the real upheaval that was the publication of the version … 5 of the Tor Browser and we are now in the fifteenth generation.
The world today has become decidedly inhuman, and we still sometimes tend to react only as consumers, as customers, dissatisfied. Fortunately, there are still volunteers to help their human brothers for free.

Do your best and thank you again.

1 Like

Ublock origin not working since this update, maybe the rest of the addons too. Please fix the issue because it really can be security issues with this version.

Thanks for reporting @UBO! We’re aware of the bug, and you can track our progress here Bug #40698. I’ll add it to our list of known issues above too.

:wave: @g7777 & @nwalid.hamouda123456: Are addons turned “off” for you (i.e. switched off in about:addons with grey toolbar icons), or are they active but broken (i.e. as demonstrated here: Bug #40698)? And are you experiencing the same for all addons including NoScript and HTTPS-Everywhere, or just addons you’ve added since installing Tor Browser?

Malwarebytes has quarantined \Tor Browser\Browser\libEGL.dll as containing Trojan.MalPack.Themida when running 11.0.1 for the first time. Please advise.

If you downloaded Tor Browser from our main website , then it’s just a false positive.
Read more: Tor Browser and antivirus false positive warnings and My antivirus or malware protection is blocking me from accessing Tor Browser.

1 Like

It was downloaded via the In-browser update mechanism. Thanks. Browser appears to work without that dll, so I’ll leave it quarantined for now, will restore if I find any functionality missing.

Yes, ALL add-ons, and they are turned on [green] & broken. Can only see outline/ghost image when clicked on. Tried to turn off & on, as suggested in previous thread. This only works for add-ons tab and only temporarily, switching to other tabs is still broken. Deleting & reinstalling add-on doesn’t help, native or added. Installing fresh copy of Tor is same problems.
Man in the middle packet capture reveals ALL Tor net traffic is fully visible.

Got it, thanks for clarifying @g7777. The team are aware of the addons issue and will be working on a fix in Bug #40698.

Since updating to Tor Browser 11.0.1 I can’t access PrivateBin instances (see screenshot). This happens each time I try to access an instance, clicking on the Restore This Tab button just causes the tab to crash again. This also happens with a fresh installation of 11.0.1, the crash didn’t occur with 11.0.

Edit: Just noticed some strange behaviour. The PrivateBin instances load successfully if the tab they are in is not in focus while they are loading, if the tab is in focus it crashes.

You’re welcome. Can we expect to see an update as soon as this bug is fixed because it seems like this bug deserves one?

Can confirm Win 8.1 addons active but not working.

When will version 11 be available on Android? Right now all Android users stand out because they are the only ones running an outdated version.

Also, since when did TBB come with ublock origin? All I get is HTTPS everywhere and NoScript. Is there a reason behind this? I would imagine it alters fingerprinting as well

Thanks for the confirmation @Comms, we have a ticket open for this issue here: Bug #40698

It’s impossible to say – we have a few priority bugs open in our list of Known Issues at the moment, some of which will be grouped together in releases as fixes become available. However the team are working hard to iron out these issues as quickly as possible :slight_smile:

The latest release of TOR browser, 11.0.1 (based on Mozilla Firefox 91.3.0esr)(64-bit), is very BUGGY! The multitude of issues is astounding to our organization, which is based in Los Angeles, an represents 1000+ activist users, so much so that we cannot rely on the TOR browser to conduct our research and communication responsibilities. We are meeting to immediately determine if we will remove TOR from our systems, and use a more reliable and encrypted connection system/service.

Please advise as to how to best mitigate the multitude of issues with this new release, and/or best means to revert back to the previous working TOR browser so we may continue our vital work.

Attached please find two (2) pdf files that illustrate our problems, particularly connecting to Protonmail, in which the TOR browser tab CRASHES every time an email is selected to be displayed/read.

Mr Y
Los Angeles Tenants Union ResearchProcessing: BUGS_Document11172021A.pdf…
Processing: BUGS_Document11172021B.pdf…

I/we would also like to know this information, as well as what is the Tor team doing to prevent these kinds of things in the future.

It should not be up to users to beta test new releases. Most coders i know use 4 to 16 boxes [different types of puters & configurations], some even more, to fully test their software before a release.