Is there a list of blocked websites?

Recently I installed a Tor relay in my router which is running OpenWrt firmware :sunglasses:. I think it’s the best you can do with your otherwise unused bandwidth.

I did notice that some websites have now become unreachable from our current IP address. I read something about this in the support pages but I didn’t find a list of blocked websites. Is there?

List of all Tor relays is public including not exit-nodes and assuming your relay is not exit-node some sites perhaps as a misguided attempt to mitigate abuse from exit-nodes inadvertently block benign relays in the crossfire.

Thank you

run a bridge - they are not listed and you will not be blocked…

1 Like

Thank you for your replies.

So there is no such list. It would have been extremely useful.

I could tell the people who use the same router and share the same IP address (i.e. my family) which websites are unreachable to them and ask them if that is a problem.

Now the only thing I can do is tell them that if a website is unreachable that that may be due to the fact that I’m running a Tor relay, but it may also be something else :laughing:.

A recipe for trouble ahead.

BTW I had thought about changing to a bridge but I don’t think I can get obfs4 working in the OpenWrt firmware.

Thanks again.

websites unreachable sometimes must be some policy from websites apply to receive new connections, they can block those connections to avoid possible attacks. i think that’s individual action by sites.

@red0bear One of the blocked websites is rtp.pt. Portugal’s public television! Being from Brazil you may have noticed.

Who can tell me why Portugal’s public television website blocks Tor? Because of copyright issues? Then why not simply apply geolocation restrictions to Tor exit nodes?

Anyway, I have found out how to install obfs4proxy on my OpenWrt router so I may switch to the bridge after all.

Until the Tor project compiles a list with websites that are known to block Tor nodes.

Sometimes websites will block Tor users because they can’t tell the difference between the average Tor user and automated traffic. The best success we’ve had in getting sites to unblock Tor users is getting users to contact the site administrators directly. Something like this might do the trick:

“Hi! I tried to access your site xyz.com while using Tor Browser and discovered that you don’t allow Tor users to access your site. I urge you to reconsider this decision; Tor is used by people all over the world to protect their privacy and fight censorship. By blocking Tor users, you are likely blocking people in repressive countries who want to use a free internet, journalists and researchers who want to protect themselves from discovery, whistleblowers, activists, and ordinary people who want to opt out of invasive third party tracking. Please take a strong stance in favor of digital privacy and internet freedom, and allow Tor users access to xyz.com. Thank you.”

In the case of banks, and other sensitive websites, it is also common to see geography-based blocking (if a bank knows you generally access their services from one country, and suddenly you are connecting from an exit relay on the other side of the world, your account may be locked or suspended).

2 Likes

No, there isn’t a list of blocked websites.

3 Likes

@gus

The best success we’ve had in getting sites to unblock Tor users is getting users to contact the site administrators directly.

Yes. I had read that. It is more for browser users, not so much for relay administrators. But anyway.

No, there isn’t a list of blocked websites.

This is the answer to my question. Thank you.

You can configure tor to choose exit nodes to use for example and avoid those problems too.

Censorship in Brazil is very old since YouTube censored iraq/afghan videos against US. After 17 years accessing internet is very easy see censorship comparing with tor access for example. A thing i dislike much seems there are google workers around here saw my comments about google restrict traffic and make some changes recently … but they keep watching us :eyes: .

At the old Trac wiki, there was a page with a crowdsourced list of sites that block Tor. It hasn’t been updated or maintained since Trac gave way to GitLab.

This is what I was looking for and didn’t find.

IMHO it wouldn’t be a bad idea to resume maintaining this list. It is useful for Tor browser users and especially for Tor Relay operators who don’t necessarily expect their IP address to be blocked all of a sudden as happened to me.

This topic was automatically closed 12 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.