Guard is failing a very large amount of circuits

After restarting my Tor Bridge and running journalctl -e -u tor@default I see inter alia a yellow colored line:

Guard CanisLatrans ($<followed by 40 digits>) is failing a very large amount of circuits. Most likely this means the Tor network is overload, but it could also mean an attack against you or potentially the guard itself. Success counts are 60/151. Use counts are 1/1. 136 circuits completed, 0 were unusable, 76 collapsed, and 84 timed out. For reference, your timeout cutoff is 60 seconds.

I do not understand what journalctl want’s me to tell. Should I do something? And if so, what should I do?

Tor is facing DDos attack for a time if you dont know. At least are you keeping your tor updated ?

What should I do in order to examine the version of Tor I am running? And how, if necessary, do I update Tor properly?

Running tor --version will tell you the version you have installed. The Tor Project has repos for some Linux distros, check the relay community page for your distro to see if it does. Otherwise just keep your OS up to date.

It’s Tor version 0.4.5.16. On Debian version 11.6 and obfs4proxy-0.0.14.

And now I have an additional new yellow line:

Guard CanisLatrans ($728F97D5BCB131698814D8C713C2220C6E7267DE) is failing more circuits than usual. Most likely this means the Tor network is overloaded. Success counts are 100/200. Use counts are 2/2. 181 circuits completed, 0 were unusable, 81 collapsed, and 87 timed out. For reference, your timeout cutoff is 60 seconds.

What I have to do in order to run my bridge as properly as all the months before?

Your bridge is okay, that log line is just informing you that your guard relay is failing, (probably) because of the network ddos: Tor is slow right now. Here is what is happening. | The Tor Project.
You don’t need to do anything, just wait the network to recover. Thanks for running a bridge!

I have a few questions though @facebita The 40 digits you’re referring to is your Relay’s fingerprint and these are the three relays you’re running judging by the family:

https://metrics.torproject.org/rs.html#search/family:728F97D5BCB131698814D8C713C2220C6E7267DE

Edit: I’ve been corrected and I’m now going to take my foot out of my mouth. :wink:

Wrong.
It’s a fingerprint of Guard selected for his node.

Oops… Sorry.

Now, ten days later, the non-performance of my bridge is persisting. Is there anything else to do than waiting for … extactly what?

Hey @facebita, can you share your tor logs? I’m curious about how many users are connected to your bridge.

Hmm. At my machine /var/log/tor is an empty directory. And in /etc/tor/torrc I do not see any information where tor should write its log.

Try:
# cat /var/log/syslog | grep tor -i

And please share this output:

# cat /var/lib/tor/stats/bridge-stats

2 posts were split to a new topic: Bridge obfs4proxy permission error