GL router performance for "Tor router"

I am considering using a GL router for TOR. This way I can just use regular Linux, and everything would be encrypted end to end, right? I notice there is a new GL router model, with 256 ram … would it be worth getting over the 128mb version? Would it run TOR faster because it has upgraded RAM ???

Any suggestions would be great. I am just trying to browse with no trackers/worries. I assume this would be OK? Or should I pay for Nord VPN for my router?

What do you think?? Thanks

1 Like

You can use Tor Browser Bundle on regular Linux distributions, you don’t need to specifically use a privacy focused OS like TAILS but it might be easier to buy a secondhand laptop solely for privacy OS use, so you can run whatever OS you prefer on your main device.

The 256MB model would perhaps be better than the 128MB model but ultimately it will depend firstly upon the speed of your ISP connection and secondly upon the speed of the circuit you are given. I know people with 1GB/s connections but they only get about 5MB/s download speed with Tor since the Tor network controls everything rather than the direct ISP.

Adding a VPN won’t hurt, especially if you wish to hide Tor use from your ISP, just don’t go with NordVPN as they’re basically the Walmart of VPNs, do research and select a VPN who’s legitimacy has been proven in a legal court. If you want VPN + TOR and still have decent speed then you will need a VPN company which uses WireGuard as OpenVPN with TOR is very slow in most test cases.

*Edit: I should also add that the trackers you speak of are something which would be handled by the browser rather than what network you are using. If you use Tor Browser Bundle on any OS then trackers aren’t an issue since it deals with them by default, if you want another browser then maybe try Brave. Its also worth noting that you shouldn’t use Tor Browser Bundle on a device connecting to the internet through a Tor configured router as its trying to pass TOR over TOR which will lead to problems. With a TOR configured router you could access .onion services in any browser but again this is a bad idea as you will stand out against all the others who are connected through the Browser Bundle, this is the reason why I suggested one device for security using Tor and another device for daily non Tor related use.

1 Like

Hi @RikR :slight_smile:

It’s worth considering Router RAM manages tasks like identifying which devices are connected to the router by Ethernet cable & which devices are connected using wireless.

RAM’s also used for routing data between ports & wireless, encrypting & decrypting data packets, running the router operating system & any software apps installed to the device.

For the use type you’ve stated in your question I’d suggest 128MB RAM would be enough to meet your performance needs, based on how you plan to use the router.

My current GL-iNET router, the Beryl (GL-MT1300) is built with DDR3L 256MB RAM & an additional 32MB NOR Flash, which copes very well with running Tor & a VPN connection, it also gives me the scope to drive additional router performance, if needed.

Also it’s worth considering many home routers are capable of handling multiple devices, 30+ devices & more isn’t uncommon these days, therefore an appropriate capacity of RAM is needed to ensure the router performance remains stable.

GL-iNet routers do facilitate the installation of additional software & that’s also where the additional RAM, say 256MB RAM, would help maintain router performance.

With regard to which VPN product to use on your GL-iNET router, that’s really down to your own personal preference & budget & it’s worth taking the time to do some research.

Personally, I’ve previously used a paid ProtonVPN subscription on my GL-iNET router & there’s a dedicated, physical switch on most GL-iNET routers, to enable you to toggle between a Tor connection & a VPN connection.

I hope this feedback helps & wishing you all the best with it.

1 Like

Actualy depending on your configuration it can hurt …

This was covered here

I was going to use ProtonVPN as well but in email exchanges they refused to answer how they would prevent a malicious actor simply purchasing a new subscription if their account is banned, they said they can’t give the information as they need for some elements of the service to remain secret in order to prevent abuse. This makes my paranoia spike and creates a concern that perhaps they generate a unique User ID for every subscriber through fingerprinting hardware and display details, meaning the fingerprint ID of the “new” subscriber would match that of a previously banned user

Hi @Angular,

I hear you & that’s why I suggested in my previous comment it’s important for each person to research what VPN product, if any, might be appropriate for them.

I deliberately chose to limit discussion on this topic because it’s ultimately a question for each individual to evaluate & determine the relevant threat model for whatever situation they’re working in.

Also I wanted to avoid the whole debate on using VPN with Tor/without etc, because this subject has been discussed extensively across the internet.

From my perspective, I always advocate to consider the technical requirements prior to deciding on the appropriate tools proportionate to the job at hand but I appreciate your thoughts on this subject & the potential risks associated with VPN use need to be carefully considered, for sure.

1 Like