Convert my tor bridge to middle/guard

I want to convert my tor bridge to a middle/guard because it is at a common vps provider/isp so I guess people have already made a bridge for it there, so mine isn’t that affective. So, I’m wondering how to convert it?

Thanks for reading

2 Likes

Converting should be pretty simple. Just stop the Tor service, open your Torrc file, comment the bridge lines out, uncomment the ORPort, and restart. Might take a dayish for the Authorities to reflect this on the metrics, but it should be that simple. Assuming no other forwarding sorcery or something is required.

Here is are some more specific things: This is a (default) bridge configuration

BridgeRelay 1

# Replace "TODO1" with a Tor port of your choice.
# This port must be externally reachable.
# Avoid port 9001 because it's commonly associated with Tor and censors may be scanning the Internet for this port.
ORPort TODO1

ServerTransportPlugin obfs4 exec /usr/bin/obfs4proxy

# Replace "TODO2" with an obfs4 port of your choice.
# This port must be externally reachable and must be different from the one specified for ORPort.
# Avoid port 9001 because it's commonly associated with Tor and censors may be scanning the Internet for this port.
ServerTransportListenAddr obfs4 0.0.0.0:TODO2

# Local communication port between Tor and obfs4.  Always set this to "auto".
# "Ext" means "extended", not "external".  Don't try to set a specific port number, nor listen on 0.0.0.0.
ExtORPort auto

# Replace "<address@email.com>" with your email address so we can contact you if there are problems with your bridge.
# This is optional but encouraged.
ContactInfo <address@email.com>

# Pick a nickname that you like for your bridge.  This is optional.
Nickname PickANickname

And this is a (mostly default) config for a relay:

Nickname    myNiceRelay  # Change "myNiceRelay" to something you like
ContactInfo your@e-mail  # Write your e-mail and be aware it will be published
ORPort      9001          # This is the default port, 443 can be used, or any other port really.
DirPort     9030         #this is not required for a boring relay, if you want to mirror HS directory info for others connecting through your relay, and you have spare bandwidth, consider uncommenting this. Otherwise, if you have capped bandwidth or something, you'll probably want to comment this out. 
ExitRelay   0 #comment this out if you want to exit relay, dont suggest
SocksPort   0 #comment this out if you intend to use this relay as a transparent proxy. 

Once the RC is setup the way you like it, start the Tor service back up.

If you run into a snag, please let me know.

3 Likes