Closed 1 streams for service [scrubbed].onion for reason resolve failed. Fetch status: No more HSDir available to query

Linux system log shows Tor 0.4.5.8 log lines like:

Tor[2308296]: Closed 1 streams for service [scrubbed].onion for reason resolve failed. Fetch status: No more HSDir available to query.
Tor[2308296]: Closing stream for '[scrubbed].onion': hidden service is unavailable (try again later).
Tor[2308296]: Have tried resolving or connecting to address '[scrubbed]' at 3 different places. Giving up.

You can see these HSDir log lines being added quite quickly (update each 5 seconds):

while true; do sleep 5 && journalctl -u tor|grep "No more HSDir available to query" -c; done

which may be normal for my usage case - third party app to connect .onion peers & trackers and it is normal for this app to face various offline peers/trackers.

I have found following comments to mentioned kind of log lines:

“Likely your Guard is the issue making all HSDir and Intro attempt to fail.”

“can happen because of a misconfigured entry or guard node. Try making a new circuit, or disconnecting and reconnecting, and if that doesn’t work, using a bridge”

Can be something done to fix Tor (the best) or its client (app)?

Same, unanswered question here.

one year passed… As a workaround one may try 2 commands:

echo -e ":msg, contains, \"Invalid hostname [scrubbed]\" stop\n:msg, contains, \"No more HSDir available to query.\" stop"|sudo tee -a /etc/rsyslog.d/123-custom.conf

sudo systemctl restart rsyslog.service && systemctl status rsyslog.service

Journalctl continue to show that lines, but log files no longer contain it IMO.

using more recent version tor this still persist ?

1 Like

I would try to use more recent Tor version, but not knowing if/how to setup it on my architecture, detail in this post (suggestion 3.)
So i am using older Tor now and mentioned hack.